Author Topic: Book Review Corner Vol 2  (Read 10966 times)

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
Re: Book Review Corner Vol 2
« Reply #25 on: Mar 13, 2010, 11:41:24 PM »
I just ordered The Surrendered by Chang-rae Lee from the library.  They'll hold it once it finally gets in.  SOunds interesting.  He's got another book, Aloft, that I'm hoping to get tomorrow.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #26 on: Mar 14, 2010, 01:25:30 AM »
I am on the 4th book in a series by Jennifer Chiaverini.  The Series is Elm Creek Quilts.  All of the books talk about quilting and revolve around a quilting camp and they are just all great reads.  I am really enjoying this series.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #27 on: Mar 14, 2010, 12:54:53 PM »
That sounds like a great series.

I checked out "The Art of Egypt".  I think it must have been someones doctorate.  Not a good read or even particularly informative.  He beats a few points to death and then comes around and walks all over them again.  It's a real yawn.

On the other hand "The Ultimate Garden Designer has got me chomping on the bit to get out there and really go to work on the garden.  There is so much I want to do out there but I'm lucky if I can keep ahead of the weeds. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #28 on: Mar 23, 2010, 03:08:39 PM »
The Ultimate Garden Designer" had to go back to the library.  But before I turned it in I copied the 4 pages that had the 4 seasons garden directions.  Those are going up on my planning wall.  I'll take a picture of that someday and post it.  I love it.  It's all my inspirations and ideas.

I really should love the Director of the Country Library system.  The way she is getting rid of books I'm going to end up with the greatest library around.  Today I netted:

Photography in focus: a basic text, by mark Jacobs and Ken kokrda.  A book we all know I need desperately.

The Doonesbury Chronicles, by G.B. Trudeau.  Is there anyone my age or older who would pass up this classic comic strip?

"A social history of furniture design from B.C. 1300 to A.D. 1960" by John Gloag."  Ok anything about an art or a craft and i just have to have it.  Call it an addiction.  I have a lot of those.

"The Magnificent West:  Yosemite," by Milton Goldstein.  One look at the pictures in this book and you know why I had to have it.

"Art on Site: Country artwalks from maine to maryland," by Marina Harrison & Lucy D. Rosenfeld.  On the front cover it says "Discover Sculpture gardens, environmental and Architectural Gems, Painters' Landscapes and Art and Craft in Process."  Am I going to pass that up?  Of course not lol.

"Keyboard Musicians of the World," by Young.  Now I'll admit that as a pianist I was an absolute washout.  But it did leave me with a fine appreciation for those who could accomplish what I could not.  So this book just had to come home with me.

"Pack-o-fun treasure of crafts, gifts, and toys," by Edna and John Clapper.  I could have passed this one up but a full bag of books for only .50.  In the bag it went.  [good thing I bought that book on repairing book bindings.]

"Sophocles the Theban Plays:  King Oedipus, Oedipus at Colonus, Antigone"  Translated by E.F. Watling.  Who am I to by pass a classic.  Just because I didn't get a classical education and find wading through the classics a great deal of work with little reward doesn't mean I don't try it from time to time.

"Shoal of Time: A History of the Hawaiian Islands,"  by Gavan Daws.  I visited hawaii once.  My fingernails are still embedded in the airports wall.  I really did not want to leave.  So you know this one came home with me.

"101 Masterpieces of Music and their composers," by Martin Bookspan.  A book that helps me to appreciate music is a fine thing indeed so this book has been added to my growing collection. 

Glad it was only .50 for all of them.  With only 19.00 dollars to last me until payday peanut butter and jelly is comming close to becomming a staple lol. 

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #29 on: Mar 23, 2010, 03:12:42 PM »
Thats great Tammy, all 10 books for .50cents each........thats awsome.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #30 on: Mar 23, 2010, 03:20:29 PM »
No .50 cents for all of them.  Like .05 cents each

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #31 on: Mar 23, 2010, 04:18:20 PM »
That is a great deal and worth pb$j for a week.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #32 on: Mar 27, 2010, 11:30:56 AM »
I'm such a nut.  One of the books I bought at Books on the Ave, my local used book store, is about cross stitch patterns.  Now if I want to use any of the patterns I"ll have to translate them to some other technique.  Where do my brains go?

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #33 on: Mar 27, 2010, 06:36:52 PM »
your brain was thinking "books".

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #34 on: Apr 01, 2010, 09:38:30 AM »
I'm not sure my brain was engaged at all lol.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #35 on: Apr 06, 2010, 01:02:45 PM »
Well I've finished Winds of Fate adn Winds of Change now I just need to get my hands of Winds of Fury and I'll have completed the series done by Mercedes Lackey.  There are tons more that follow the time line from beginning to end but they are usually done in three book increments.  I loved reading them.

Then I started one of her modern elf books.  I can't think of the name right now but I'll get it and post it later.  I'm headed for a nap. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2010, 07:29:18 AM »
I'm getting disappointed with the information I saved from "The Ultimate Garden Designer" that I read earlier this year.  So far 4 of the 4 plants I've checked out from there 4 seasons garden list I wouldn't have in my garden.  One is zone 9 10, one is very agressive, one requires a great deal of water, and one is toxic.  Not the kinds of plants I want in a garden.  Ok whinning over for right now. 

Jessica

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2010, 02:18:07 PM »
I just finished reading My Sister's Keeper.  I know it is not a new book but I came across it the other day in my collection and started reading.  What a fantastic book!  Has anybody read it?  I definitely recommend it.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2010, 02:39:36 PM »
I have not read the book but I think we have the movie in right now.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Jessica

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2010, 02:41:43 PM »
I have not seen the movie so I have no idea how it compares to the book but it is a great book! 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2010, 07:11:26 PM »
I read it.  The ending was certainly a surprise wasn't it.

Jessica

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2010, 10:26:37 PM »
Yes it definitely was.  Sad.  Did you like it?

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2010, 08:02:56 AM »
Yes.  I liked it.  I didn't know it had been made into a movie.

Jessica

« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2010, 09:44:01 AM »
Yes, it has but I have not seen it yet.  Now that I have read the book I will have to watch it.  They usually change so much for the movie.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2010, 09:48:30 AM »
I am glad to hear this review. I try to avoid sad endings everywhere, movies and books.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Jessica

« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2010, 09:49:41 AM »
Yes, it has a sad ending.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2010, 10:34:50 AM »
Did you read Cold Mountain?  I read the book first then saw the movie and while I love Jude Law and Nicole Kidman thought the movie was terrible.  I would have probably liked the movie if I had not of read the book first.

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2010, 11:43:36 AM »
I can give you a review on " The Little Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly" or "Sleeping Beauty". That's all I get read. I think I have the first on memorized.
This is me ->?

Jessica

« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2010, 11:54:03 AM »
I have not read Cold Mountain but I did see the movie.  Maybe I will have to read the book now.  Right now I am reading 3 Weeks With My Brother by Nicholas Sparks. 

Bonnie, I read plenty of those books myself.  Less and less though as Tristen is old enough to read himself.  I think it helps kids to enjoy and think about reading when they see mom and dad reading.  PS....mom reads way more than dad. :giggle:

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2010, 08:53:50 PM »
...and dad reading.  PS....mom reads way more than dad. :giggle:
my house too jess, my house too.  but, scott has started reading more as he has gotten older.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal