Author Topic: Book Review Corner Vol 2  (Read 10967 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Book Review Corner Vol 2
« on: Jan 09, 2010, 05:47:32 PM »
I'm going to think about those book shelves.  Especially the ones that look like cubes.  I wonder if they could be stacked.  That would be the perfect answer wouldn't it?

I have to start cataloging my books but today was a total bust.  I just couldn't talk myself into it.  Hopefully I'll do better tomorrow.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Re: Book Review Corner Vol 2
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2010, 12:03:38 PM »
Right now I'm reading book two of the magisters series, Wings of Wrath by C.S. Friedman.  I won't bother to read the third one in the series because the author is at it again.  We bounce from one character to another and I just don't like that story telling technique.

But after that I'm looking forward to some good ones.  Got my fingers and toes crossed.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2010, 07:52:44 AM »
Well I got a "no tool required for assemble" 5 tier bookshelf and I'm loving it.  Only 20 bucks and it went together like a dream.

If I ever get through the "Wings of Wrath" I'll never ever pick up another book by C.S. Friedman.  I hardly ever put down a book in the middle because then the story will haunt me.  So I have to finish the really bad ones or they hang around in my head.  But picking this one up and reading it isn't any fun at all. 

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2010, 08:08:11 AM »
Tammy, I am the same way about having to read to the end. It is aggravating when it really is a "bad" book and it stays that way to the finish... :razberry:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2010, 08:29:34 PM »
I'm nearing the end and it hasn't improved if anything it has gotten worse.  I've occassionally gotten into fixes where I've tried to write a report and it got convoluted and messy.  This is the first time I've run into it in book form.  Probably because I stay away from Russian writers.  Oops sorry shouldn't have said that.

Jessica

« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2010, 09:27:55 PM »
I just read a memoir called Rattled.  I liked it.  And now I am reading one called It Sucked and Then I Cried.  This girl has my kind of sense of humor (I don't know that I should say it is my kind of sense of humor, but I enjoy her sense of humor).  I am enjoying it so far.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2010, 09:45:23 PM »
Sounds like those are good books, Jessica. I like books that have humor in them... :ThumbUp:

Tammy, soon you will be through with it and can start on something else... :grinnnn:

When I met G-mom a couple of years ago, she told me that "Memoirs of a Geisha" is a very good book. :wink5: I haven't spotted it in a thrift store, so I haven't read it yet... :giggle:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2010, 05:56:26 AM »
It is a wonderful book.  It's in my library and I read it last year.  I hope to find a copy for my library because I know I would enjoy reading it again.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2010, 08:04:15 AM »
Memoirs of a Geisha is a good book but sad.  It's unbelievable that people are treated that way.

Jessica, I'm going to check those out if I can find them.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2010, 08:12:48 AM »
Jessica, who is the author of Rattled?  There are 2 books I found with that title.   One by Christine Coppa, that my library doesn't have, and one by Debra Gallant, that my library does have.

Jessica

« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2010, 09:36:41 AM »
The one I read is by Christine Coppa.  I liked it.

Jessica

« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2010, 09:45:30 AM »
It Sucked and Then I Cried is by Heather Armstrong.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2010, 09:53:59 AM »
did you get them at your library?

Jessica

« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2010, 10:45:25 AM »
I did not.  I bought them.  I am so bad about going to the library.  I buy a lot of the books that I read.  I would be willing to share them with you if you can't find them.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2010, 11:13:52 AM »
I can order it from Amazon probably.  thanks though.
« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2010, 11:16:01 AM by bestofour »

Jessica

« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2010, 12:13:14 PM »
I got mine from Amazon.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2010, 05:02:04 PM »
I went to the library to get rid of that awful book that I was reading.  Then I picked up two on quilting.  "Fusing Fun! Fast Fearless Art Quilts" by Laura Wasilowski and "Quilting School" by Ann Poe.

The first one is only 80 pages and I'm already on page 17 so it's going pretty quickly.  It's definitely boosting my confidence concerning where I want to head with the quilting.  Which is a good thing.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2010, 10:40:13 AM »
Finished Fusing Fun and I'm very excited about the Art Quilts but I've decided that I'm going to take my time and go through all the lessons and slowly build up to the art quilts.  It's two to three times the amount of material and so I want to be sure that I'm spot on when I get there.  Next on my reading list is Quilting School.  This is one of those I'll be taking notes as I go along.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2010, 12:43:16 PM »
Well I had to stop along the way and begin "Temples, Tombs and Hieroglyphs," by Barbara Mertz.  So far I've giggled and laughed about every page.  I'm going to love reading this one.  It's non-fiction and it's about egyptology and the more about egyptology & Ms. Mertz you know the funnier the book is.  I won't put aside the Quilting book I'll just read about a lessons worth each day and then go on to other things.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2010, 08:23:19 PM »
I'm reading The Thirteenth Tale.  Very good.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #20 on: Feb 20, 2010, 12:57:05 PM »
I just finished "4000 Flower & Plant Motifs: A Source Book", It's all pictures so it was just a matter of marking the pages I want to copy at the library the next time I go.  That will be Tuesday for the quilting club.  If I get there at 9:00 I'll be able to copy the pages before we go to Lynchburg.  That's my plan anyway.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #21 on: Mar 01, 2010, 04:09:30 PM »
Well my plan fell through but I should be able to get the copies the Tuesday after next if not before. 

Well while I was in Lynchburg I stopped by my favorite used book store.  I now have 6 Mercedes Lackey books.  Winds of Change, Winds of Fate, The White Gryphon, The Phoenix Trasnformed , The Phoenix Endangered, and Music to my sorrow.  She has over 100 books published and I hope that before I die I'll have collected the entire set. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #22 on: Mar 01, 2010, 06:28:47 PM »
I never read any Mercedes Lackey books but I remember reading that she says she bases some of her stories on her life.  From what I know about her books her life must be unusual to say the least.

Have you ever read 84 Charing Cross Road?  It's a tiny book that I'm reading now.  It's about a woman living in NY in the 1940's who orders her books from an old bookstore in England because she likes their paper and book coverings better.  I am loving this little book.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #23 on: Mar 08, 2010, 02:38:59 PM »
That sounds like a book right down my alley.  I'll have to look for it.  Thanks for the heads up.

I think the ones based on some of Mercedes life are the ones about the elves that are race car drivers.  It's probably been 20 years since I read those but they are good.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #24 on: Mar 09, 2010, 11:41:18 AM »
I just finished up a pretty good book called Sullivan's Island by Dorothea Benton Frank.  It is about a woman who changed her life after a divorce and the author goes back and forth between her current life and when she was a child.  Not the best book I have ever read but a pretty good message.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal