Author Topic: Automatic Bumper thing...  (Read 5991 times)

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
Automatic Bumper thing...
« on: Jan 22, 2010, 11:26:38 PM »
Normally, when I click on a thread, I get bumped to where I was the last time I read it - so I get to see the new posts without having to scroll through all the old ones.  Loved that!  It went away and I'm wondering if I did something?  Any ideas on how I can make it come back?   :unsure:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Re: Automatic Bumper thing...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2010, 11:30:48 PM »
Are you clicking on the little white box that has the new in it for the posts that have been posted since your last visit? :unsure:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2010, 11:39:23 PM »
What white box?

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2010, 11:42:12 PM »
Before I opened up this topic, I saw a little while box with the word new in it. It is on the index page before you get into the topic itself, beside the title of the topic...
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2010, 11:48:24 PM »
Hmmm.  I've always seen the box but didn't know it was a clicky-box.  I've always just clicked on the blue words.  And I'm bumped for SOME topics - but not all of them. 

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2010, 11:54:00 PM »
Hmmm. :ScratchHead: I will have to try that to see if it works for me, Sarah Loo. I am not sure if I know exactly what you are talking about...

If I can't figure it out, I will have Jim check it tomorrow. Right now he is playing his PS3 and can't be bothered, because he might get killed... ::)

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2010, 11:58:38 PM »
I click on the white box that says new. It takes me to the newest post since the last time I read in that thread. If I click on the words it takes me to the first post in the thread.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2010, 11:59:56 PM »
Same for me, Tina. I can't figure out how Sarah Loo is navigating... :unsure:

I've always just clicked on the blue words.  And I'm bumped for SOME topics - but not all of them. 

Do you think you may hit the white box accidentally every once in a while, Sarah Loo, since you are only bumped for SOME topics?
« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2010, 12:01:30 AM by Dianna »

Jessica

« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2010, 11:01:04 AM »
Okay, I don't see what white box you guys are talking about.  I have always clicked on last post and scrolled back to where I left off because I couldn't figure out how to get to where I had read last.  After I read this, I went back and looked but couldn't find anything.  When I come on the forum, I always click on Show Unread Posts Since Your Last Visit.  Once I am in there, I don't see a white box that says new posts??

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2010, 11:07:30 AM »
Jessica, if you click on a forum on the index page, you should see a list of topics related to that particular forum. I.E. Spirit Lounge is a forum, when you click on it, you see Spirit Lounge 1, Spirit Lounge 2, Spirit Lounge 3, etc. as topics. To the right of the title of a topic should be a little white box with the word new in it. If you click on that box, it will take you to the last topic you read... :grinnnn:

I hope I didn't confuse you more. You will not see the white box on the "show unread posts" thread... :wink5:

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2010, 11:09:27 AM »
I always use "show unread posts since last visit" too, Jess. Then when that page comes up beside each topic that shows up is a white box that says new. That is what I click on.

Jessica

« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2010, 11:12:27 AM »
Where is this box?  I don't see it.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2010, 11:13:11 AM »
Mine is right beside each subject title.

Jessica

« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2010, 11:17:37 AM »
I just found it.  Never saw that there and obviously it was easy for me to miss because I was looking for it and still couldn't find it.  Thank you! :giggle:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2010, 11:22:40 AM »
I never go in through "show unread posts" so didn't know it was there. Thank you, Tina, for correcting that thought... :grinnnn:

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2010, 11:26:36 AM »
well, I just sent Jess an email picture of my whole 'unread posts page'  to point out the box. And even in the email it is a link back to the last unread post. (mine)
Do not feel bad, Jess. It took me forever to find that little box. My mind seems to skip right over it for a long time. Now it is a main focus because it is so helpful in navigating.

Jessica

« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2010, 11:27:24 AM »
I never even noticed the New before. That will save me a lot of scrolling. :giggle:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2010, 11:32:24 AM »
Anyone figure out how Sarah Loo is seeing her posts? I need all the help I can get in explaining... :BigGrin:

Jessica

« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2010, 11:34:12 AM »
I don't know how she sees hers but it sounds like she knows where the new box is so that should help her.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2010, 11:35:29 AM »
Yes it does save scrolling.
Unread posts is something I look for on all of my forums. It is a forum's most important feature to me for navigating.
And after I've read up as a newbie I can stay on top of everything much better that way.
And Dianna, i wasn't correcting you up there. We were typing at the same time from two different angles. I am a little surprised that you don't use the unread posts button. It would be the fastest way to snag a spammer as an admin, I would think.  
I have no clue as to how Sarah navigates the forum. So I'm not a big help there.

Jessica

« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2010, 11:38:05 AM »
I love the unread posts button.  That is all I ever use unless I need to go find a topic that I want to post in that I have already read all the posts in.  The unread posts button makes my life so much easier.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2010, 11:39:43 AM »
 :ThumbUp:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 23, 2010, 11:55:31 AM »
Tina, I wasn't worried about you "correcting" me at all. I am just glad that you were able to share your view on the forum, since I rarely use the unread posts button. I am usually in the middle of the forum most of the time when I am online, so I just do some scrolling or I check at the bottom when posts are made. By scrolling around, it jogs my memory if there was something that I meant to post in and waited for later. Sometimes it works that way, anyway... :giggle:

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #23 on: Jan 23, 2010, 12:10:24 PM »
I get that, Dianna.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #24 on: Jan 25, 2010, 07:07:04 PM »
Learn something new everyday.  I didn't know any of this.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal