Author Topic: Granola Bars  (Read 1715 times)

Jessica

Granola Bars
« on: Jan 25, 2010, 10:13:28 PM »
Granola Bars

2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 cup sliced almonds
1 cup shredded coconut, loosley packed
1/2 cup flaxseed meal (I used just regular flaxseed)
1 tbsp. unsalted butter
2/3 cup honey
1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups chopped dried fruit

Preheat oven to 350°.  Grease an 8 x 12 inch baking sheet and line it with greased parchment paper. (The baking sheet I use is 10 x 14 and seems to work fine.)

Toss the oatmeal, almonds and coconut together on a sheet pan and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned.  Transfer to a large bowl and add in flaxseed.  Reduce oven temp to 300°.

Combine the butter, honey, vanilla and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat.  Cook and stir for a minute, then pour over the toasted almond mixture.  Add the dried fruit and stir the mixture together.

Pour the mixture onto the baking sheet.  Wet your fingers and lightly press the mixture evenly into the pan.  Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until light golden brown.  Allow to cool for at least 2 - 3 hours and then cut into squares.  I individually wrap them in plastic wrap so we can grab and go or pack them in our lunch.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
Re: Granola Bars
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2010, 10:18:48 PM »
Those look really good, except for the coconut part.  I wonder if my kiddos would eat them?

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Jessica

« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2010, 10:24:21 PM »
I don't mind coconut but honestly I don't even taste it in there.  Tristen loves them and he is a picky eater.

If you don't like coconut, try this. 

Question:
When a recipe calls for coconut to be added, particularly with biscuits and cakes, what can I use in place of the coconut? I am highly allergic to coconut, as are a number of my friends.

Answer:
As coconut is usually part of the dry mix, you could replace it with an equal amount of the flour used in the recipe; unprocessed bran; oats; ground nuts or even chopped dried fruit.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2010, 10:25:35 PM »
I am allergic which is why I would skip it... nice to know what I can replace it with.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Jessica

« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2010, 10:40:24 PM »
I think they would be good with other kinds of nuts added in instead of the coconut.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2010, 10:54:44 PM »
To replace it in the granola bars, I would use some other cereal, like bran flakes or something lightly crushed. Or a mix of  the cereal and nuts maybe fairly finely crushed
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal