Author Topic: Puckers when making stuffed animals  (Read 2475 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Puckers when making stuffed animals
« on: Jan 30, 2010, 11:00:44 AM »
I cut out a pattern for a simple teddybear.  It's just a front and a back.  How hard could it be right? 

Well I put it together being very careful around the curves.  Then I turned it inside out.  At all the curves it puckered.  I thought if I stuffed it the puckers would go away.  They didn't.

So I took the stuffing out and turned in right sides together again.  Can someone tell me what I might have done wrong?

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Re: Puckers when making stuffed animals
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2010, 11:34:46 AM »
Well I made it.  It still has puckers.  Maybe some one at the meeting after next can tell me what I did wrong.  It looks awful.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2010, 01:59:52 PM »
How 'fat' do you want it stuffed, Tammy? Is it to be flat to add to a quilt top?
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2010, 02:58:40 PM »
I looked online and this link is the only thing I found.

http://www.straw.com/equilters/library/tips-hows/puckering-prevent.html

Not sure if this is what you're talking about.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2010, 07:26:54 PM »
it should be full but still thin.  I really don't know how to explain it.  It's one of those things you have to see. 

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2010, 08:16:31 PM »
I'm thinking if you put your front and back together, right sides facing then set it on batting and sew through the whole thing. Cut away the batting on the outside as close to the stitching as possible. Snip your curves and trim any excess material as close as you can without cutting into the stitching. Then when you turn it right side out the 'filling is already inside. That would give you a flat stuffed bear. Also if you square off the corners of your bear's feet and such it will make for easier sewing but will still 'round out' a little in the turning.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2010, 11:15:44 PM »
Oh, I have the wrong kind of batting to do that.  But I'll keep it in mind for future attempts.  Thank you for taking the time to advise me on this.  I'm such a beginner.  I know almost nothing about what I'm doing.

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2010, 10:54:08 AM »
If you are just making a shell of a bear and then stuffing the bear I think you may have a problem with trimming your curves.  Sew like normal, but before you turn it, simply put a couple of cuts in each curve - but don't cut through your stitches.  Pinking shears do a great job - I've been told - for making corners and curves perfect.  I don't have them, so I don't know.  And, of course, be sure to pin carefully!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2010, 07:14:23 AM »
I'm sure your right.  I trimmed them the best I could but it didn't look like the pictures always look in books.  You know what I mean?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal