Author Topic: #3 Bird/critter in the spotlight; Buntings  (Read 2534 times)

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
#3 Bird/critter in the spotlight; Buntings
« on: Feb 05, 2010, 03:38:40 PM »
No not the baby bunting blanket thingy, the birds! :BigGrin:

Indigo bunting; Passerina cyanea

Painted Bunting; Passerina ciris

Lazuli Bunting; Passerina amoena

Buntings are not a common feeder bird here in the northeast. The few I've seen are eating at ground level on the outskirts of the feeder area.

Kewl facts

The Indigo Bunting migrates at night, using the stars for guidance. It learns its orientation to the night sky from its experience as a young bird observing the stars.

The western population of Painted Buntings begins its fall migration before molting, molts in staging areas in southern Arizona and northern Mexico, then continues to migrate further south. This migration-molt pattern is common among waterfowl but very rare among songbirds. In contrast to the western population, the eastern population of Painted Buntings molts on its breeding grounds before migration.

Each male Lazuli Bunting two years of age and older sings only one song, composed of a series of different syllables, and unique to that individual. Yearling males generally arrive on the breeding grounds without a song of their own. Shortly after arriving, a young male develops its own song, which can be a novel rearrangement of syllables, combinations of song fragments of several males, or a copy of the song of one particular older male.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Re: #3 Bird/critter in the spotlight; Buntings
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2010, 04:29:25 PM »
That is a beautiful bird, Wrennie. It has such splendid colors... :giggle:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2010, 05:15:53 PM »
Very pretty. I have seen these here. At least the western version and wondered what they were.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2010, 05:21:02 PM »
Those are very pretty birds. The indigo bunting is such a rich color.
This is me ->?

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2010, 07:01:42 PM »
According to the map the Indigo should be hanging out in my yard but I've never seen one.  I would love to see one.  They look like they were painted with a paint brush.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2010, 07:29:39 PM »
Those are stunning birds.  None in my area though, bummer.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2010, 07:38:11 PM »
They are beautiful birds. The indigo should be here in the summer, but I've never seen one. I think I'd remember as vibrant a blue that it is!
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2010, 06:31:44 AM »
I've seen 2 in the past 17 years... or is that 3? :ScratchHead: The 2 i clearly remember were both as I glanced out a kitchen window and went, "WHOA! Look at that blue!!" The first was perched ontop of a flower head. Cant remember what kind, getting some sun. They seem to tend to like forested areas with patches of grass to land on/feed at.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal