Author Topic: what am I? [Solved] Rose Campion - Lychnis Coronaria  (Read 2785 times)

Offline Peggy

what am I? [Solved] Rose Campion - Lychnis Coronaria
« on: May 18, 2007, 11:39:05 PM »
I was told what this was, and have totally forgotten the name of it.
if you know the name, I'd like to know. Thanks, Peg

here is the foliage. below is the flower...

« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2007, 08:20:53 PM by Dianna »
How are you?  I'm great!  Glad to see you! Hope we meet again!

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Re: what am I?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 12:02:31 AM »
The foliage reminds me of Lisianthus (Prairie Genetian), but I have never seen that bright of a color bloom for that particular flower. It sure is pretty!
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Patty S

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 02:13:13 AM »
The stems & leaves (& their shade of green) sure do look a lot like Lisianthus, but the flower is all wrong, cuz Lisianthus blossoms look like huge roses! 

I have no idea what it might be, but it's awesome!  Did you dig it up & take it home, Peggy?  (If not, I hope you remember where it is, so we can go back & harvest some seeds later!)   

Tina might know what it is, when she comes by... she knows flowers better than most of the rest of us do.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 02:14:59 AM by Patty S »

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 12:25:26 AM »
The leaves look like lisianthes. But that flower doesn't. The flower picture looks like a princess flower; tibouchina.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 12:27:57 AM by Tina »
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Peggy

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 01:49:17 PM »
Thank you for letting me know it's a princess flower...the name seems to fit.

Patty, yes, I dig it up.. but it was given to me.. you can have some seeds from mine.  It might be in a season or two, you can have plant or two, instead.  This is my first year with them.  A friend of mine gave me those, along with some day lilies, and some other flowers that are not blooming yet.

:)  hugs, peg

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: Jun 05, 2007, 11:01:56 PM »
Rose campion   :idea:

I finally remembered the name, about a week later.
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Patty S

Re: what am I? [Solved] Rose Campion
« Reply #6 on: Jun 05, 2007, 11:42:24 PM »
I do believe this one goes to Sarah! :clap: The blossom does look sort of "princessy", so maybe it should be nick-named "Rose Campion Princess"! (somebody may have already done that... I think it fits!)

I looked up  Rose Campion & found it on floridata.com. It sounds pretty interesting!

Rose campion is an erect, many-branched biennial (or short-lived perennial) with softly wooly silver-gray leaves and stems. The plant gets 2-3 feet tall with a spread of 1-2 feet. The leaves are in opposing pairs on the stem and oval shaped; basal leaves have petioles (leaf stems) and are 4-6" long; stem leaves do not have petioles and are smaller, 2-4" long. In the second year of growth, rose campion blooms with a profusion of long stemmed rose-pink or purple (rarely white) trumpet shaped flowers a little more than 1" across and just as long. The flowers open one at a time and last only a day, but do so over a long blooming period in the spring and summer. Rose campion also may bloom in its first season, but usually not as profusely. By its third season, rose campion already is declining, but new seedlings keep the lineage going.

Peggy & I talked about this plant when she was here yesterday, & she said that she did find more of it on her last outing & will give me some seeds this year!
That's going to be awesome on the hill above my Iris!

Offline Peggy

« Reply #7 on: Jun 08, 2007, 02:36:30 PM »
Thanks for all the information.. my flowers last for more than one day though..I must be special!!

ha!!!!
hugs, peg  ;D

Firefly

« Reply #8 on: Jun 10, 2007, 08:19:32 PM »
I know it's been solved, but I'm just getting around to seeing this, I know the flower well, as I have a ton of them. Some first year babies and some plants getting ready to blossom. It will start blossoming in about two weeks and go right into the fall. Collecting the seeds is really easy and they are the seeds we used when making the seed packet favors for my daughter's wedding last August. They are carefree and I let the roam the entire garden, wherever they want to go.

The botanical name is Lychnis Coronaria.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #9 on: Jun 10, 2007, 08:20:22 PM »
Thank you, Firefly. I will add the name to it!  :)
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal