Author Topic: Clematis for the trellis  (Read 2089 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Clematis for the trellis
« on: Mar 15, 2010, 10:34:07 AM »
Ive had some clematis seeds for awhile now.  And I've decided to plant them in the planter that sits beside the shed with a trellis attached to it.  The car is usually parked in front of it so the bottom will definitely be shaded.  I'll also mulch it once it gets to that stage.  You know I didn't know they were perennial.  That's so cool.  I tried morning glories last year and was seriously displeased.  I have such a brown thumb, but that never stops me from trying.

Does anyone have any advice for me?  Oh I'm starting them indoors to go outdoors in approximately 6 weeks.

I have one variety that is unnamed from a swap, one that is described as small lavender, and one that is called "Sweet Autumn".  I'm going to plant some of all of them and see what happens.  I'm going to use last years aged cow manure and potting soil for my mix. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
Re: Clematis for the trellis
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2010, 10:43:35 AM »
This is what I found online and it looks like you're doing things exactly right.

Step 1:  Clematis adores the sun, but the roots need to be shaded. An eastern exposure is compatible with the clematis. Plant in the spring after the danger of frost has past.

Step 2:  Start growing clematis seeds inside approximately six weeks before the last hard frost. Plant seeds in the center of small nursery pots. Fill the pots with peat moss.

Step 3:  Protect the roots by adding a thin layer of organic mulch.

Step 4:  During the summer months, clematis needs water daily. It is best to water plants in the morning. The Clematis prefers cool moist roots. As summer heat us you would add an 2-3 inches of organic mulch.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2010, 02:57:15 PM »
Thanks bestofour.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2010, 05:06:34 PM »
I've had 2 growing on a piece of fence for several years.  They've always bloomed but never got very tall or viney.  Last summer after a tree had been removed by DOT they bloomed like crazy.  Lots of sunshine.

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2010, 07:45:41 AM »
Good luck with it Tammy.......such a pretty plant.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #5 on: Apr 04, 2010, 07:22:09 AM »
Well none of mine have sprouted.   I think they were just to old.  But that's ok.  I find that I'm not the vine person I thought I was.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal