Author Topic: nine thousand drill and screw bits  (Read 2174 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
nine thousand drill and screw bits
« on: Mar 31, 2010, 09:49:34 AM »
I found a couple of pieces of 4x4 wood.  And I've been thinking that I could maybe draw a grid on it and then wood burn the different sizes and shapes of my bits in it and then drill holes in it so they would all have there very own space?  Am I nuts?  Is it possible to do this?  If so can anyone tell me how would be the best way to do it?  I would just like them all in one place.  Right now I have a buch of holders for them.  Some are here and some are there and some are big and some are small.  I don't want to loose all the little bits. 

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
Re: nine thousand drill and screw bits
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2010, 10:15:53 AM »
It is funny because I was thinking about the same thing a day or so ago. What I do have is a metal magnet strip meant to hold smaller tools. I thought although it wouldn't hold all of the bits I needed because it is only about 24 in. long, that it would hold a selection. It is still in the box. I need to find convenient wall space for it.
Let us know how your project works out. My only suggestion would be to make sure whatever you use doesn't tip easily and spill its treasures. Not much more is discouraging than to have to stop in the middle of a project to pick up and sort through the piddly things.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 2010, 10:25:14 AM »
I like the magnet idea.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Sunflower

« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 2010, 11:38:30 AM »
I keep mine in a 'magnet ashtray' that you can buy at a mechanic shop.

If you drill holes in the wood, it'll have to be snug enough to hold them but loose enough to pull them out....and i can guarantee you're gonna cut your fingers pulling out the drill bits.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2010, 12:35:50 PM »
Well they are in plastic holders now and I don't cut myself.  Why would it be different if it were wood?

I'm thinking maybe a stair step design.  4x4 glued to a 2x4 placed sideways I may need to buy pieces longer than the one that gave me the idea.  I don't think it is long enough. 

Hummmmmmm, more thinking required lol.

Offline Sunflower

« Reply #5 on: Mar 31, 2010, 12:37:48 PM »
I cut myself everytime I pull out a drill bit no matter what it's in...I think they are just too sharp.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal