Author Topic: Bird in spotlight #5  (Read 3269 times)

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
Bird in spotlight #5
« on: Apr 10, 2010, 09:05:37 PM »
Wrennie, can we discuss eastern bluebirds please.  We have a nest in our bluebird house.  They're hanging out in our trees.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
Re: Bird in spotlight #5
« Reply #1 on: Apr 10, 2010, 09:06:34 PM »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: Apr 10, 2010, 11:23:33 PM »
I love bluebirds. We see them often around here....:)
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #3 on: Apr 24, 2010, 07:24:18 AM »
Oooh, bluebirds are pretty! I dont see alot here at home, too woodsy. But out on the highway I see them around the fields.

Behavior

Eastern Bluebirds perch erect on wires, posts, and low branches in open country, scanning the ground for prey. They feed by dropping to the ground onto insects or, in fall and winter, by perching on fruiting trees to gulp down berries. Bluebirds commonly use nest boxes as well as old woodpecker holes.

Habitat

Eastern Bluebirds live in meadows and openings surrounded by trees that offer suitable nest holes. With the proliferation of nest boxes and bluebird trails, bluebirds are now a common sight along roads, field edges, golf courses, and other open areas.

from;http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Eastern_Bluebird/id

They are a good reason to NOT use insecticides!!
« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2010, 07:27:28 AM by Wrennie »

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #4 on: Apr 24, 2010, 07:29:01 AM »
Awwww, this one is so cute and i love the colors!!

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #5 on: Apr 24, 2010, 07:37:33 AM »
They are pretty. You have to watch their nest boxes and be sure to evict any house sparrows that move in. Open the box, toss the nest and leave the box open a couple of days till the sparrows move on.
nests;

Bluebird: Neat, cup shaped, woven nest of 100% fine grass or pine needles. Occasionally bits of fur or a few feathers and rootlets. Fairly deep nest cup. Eggs are powder blue, sometimes white. NOTE: Western Bluebirds will routinely add ribbons, cellophane, feathers, thin bark and leaves to their nest. Note: Rare open-cup nests were found in surface-mined lands in KY and on oak limbs in SC.
bullet    

House Sparrow: Jumble of odds and ends, including coarse grass with seedheads, cloth, white feathers, twigs and sometimes litter. Tall nest, may have tunnel-like entrance. Eggs are cream, white, gray or greenish, with irregular brown speckles.
bullet    

Tree Swallow: Nest of grass lined with feathers. May be messy. Flatter cup than bluebirds. Eggs are pure white.
bullet    

Black-capped Chickadee: Downy nest of moss, fur, and soft plant fibers. Female may cover eggs with moss when leaving the box.  White eggs with brown speckles.
bullet    

Tufted Titmouse: Downy nest of moss, fur, and soft plant fibers. May have many earwigs living in it. White eggs with rose/mauve speckles.
bullet    

House Wren: Messy nest of twigs, occasionally lined with fine fibers or feathers. Males may build unlined eggless "dummy nests" in nearby boxes to reduce competition. Tiny glossy white eggs, sometimes tinted with pink/buff, with lots of fine pinkish brown/reddish brown/brown specks that sometimes form a ring on the larger end of the egg.

DO NOT evict any species except the house sparrow. Native species are federally protected. Put up multiple bird houses.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #6 on: Apr 24, 2010, 07:38:10 AM »
Go here to see the nests and eggs >
http://www.sialis.org/basics.htm

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #7 on: Apr 24, 2010, 07:42:21 AM »
Awwww, too cute.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #8 on: Apr 24, 2010, 08:23:49 AM »
We've had 1 brood hatch already this year.  Last year we had a total of 3 in our 1 house.  I'll have to check the box today to see if they've started rebuilding.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: Apr 24, 2010, 02:44:53 PM »
thank you wrennie.  i like looking at them as i drive around.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #10 on: Apr 24, 2010, 03:54:59 PM »
We have lots of the Eastern Bluebird hanging around. They are beautiful...:)
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #11 on: Apr 24, 2010, 04:30:42 PM »
I don't.  :Crybaby2:
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #12 on: Apr 25, 2010, 03:00:02 PM »
Awwww Tina you should have the western Bluebirds! :BigGrin:
see;

Is your part of CA on that map as in his range?
Unlike eastern Bluebirds who prefer open meadows, the western prefer forested areas.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #13 on: Apr 25, 2010, 03:48:27 PM »
I am either off that map or right on the cusp of inactivity. I think off. But if I travel closer to the coast I might be able to spot some. Thank you, Wrennie. Meanwhile I have blue jays for adding blue to my skies. And an occasional mountain jay.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal