Author Topic: Baby steps to better foods #2  (Read 12104 times)

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
Re: Baby steps to better foods #2
« Reply #75 on: Apr 26, 2010, 08:31:56 AM »
For breakfast I had Old Fashioned Quaker oats with brown sugar and blueberries.  I didn't soak the stone cut oats so I just cooked the other and added the berries and sugar.  I brought yogurt for lunch.  Will add blueberries and granola to that.  I have a tomato sandwich for lunch but it's on squishy no nutrient white bread with mayo.  You've gotta have squishy white bread for a tomato sandwich.  It's the American way.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #76 on: Apr 26, 2010, 08:57:16 AM »
It is funny, I grew up on squishy white bread (cheap). Once I discovered good breads that really made you feel like you were eating something, I never looked back.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #77 on: Apr 26, 2010, 09:56:29 AM »
I agree tomato sandwiches have to be on special bread, but for me it's super sour sourdough or parmesan galic rounds.  :542:
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #78 on: Apr 26, 2010, 10:45:23 AM »
I like potato bread too but it really adds on the pounds.

What kind of bread do you eat Tina?

Jessica

« Reply #79 on: Apr 26, 2010, 10:50:12 AM »
I like potato bread once in a while.  I mostly eat wheat bread.

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #80 on: Apr 26, 2010, 11:01:43 AM »
I switch bread every week. Always a whole grain based, preferably organic, artisan bread.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #81 on: Apr 26, 2010, 11:04:41 AM »
I can do toast or other bread things with nutritious bread but if I'm having a banana or tomato sandwich I want the junk bread.

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #82 on: Apr 26, 2010, 11:06:21 AM »
I can understand.  :BigGrin: Hence my need for super sour white bread during tomato season.  :giggle: Speaking of which, I should start the sourdough soon....

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #83 on: Apr 26, 2010, 12:28:17 PM »
I like my sandwich bread course and gritty with whole grains and seeds and stuff in there. I do like my rolls soft though.

Jessica

« Reply #84 on: Apr 26, 2010, 12:30:18 PM »
I watched part of Food Inc. last night but got too tired to watch it all.  Maybe I will finish it tonight.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #85 on: May 03, 2010, 10:29:06 AM »
Yesterday I bought bread and not the white, squishy, no nutrient kind.  We both had  tomato sandwich on the healthy bread and neither of us complained.  Maybe there's hope for us.  I also bought the cream at the top plain yogurt.  It has pectin in it too.  It still doesn't taste good but it's so much better in consistency that even though it has more calories it's worth it.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #86 on: May 03, 2010, 12:21:34 PM »
The better foods here are not calorie conscious ones. The basic theme is less processed. The least processed have more calories. But they are supposed to satisfy more of your needs.
If you purchase low fat yogurt and need to eat 3 of them to satisfy what your body is needing then it is not a fat savings at all, if one full fat unprocessed yogurt works.
That is a simplified version of what I have read.
Like the salt things. My body seems to crave salt so I stuff myself with potato chips or something. But my body is maybe really craving some of the trace minerals found in salt. So I switched to the sea salt in my other foods to see if that helps the cravings. I think it has but I will know better as it heats up. If I get what I need on my morning egg I may not eat so many calories in potato chips later.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #87 on: May 03, 2010, 10:24:19 PM »
and tina is right.  the same thing is coming out about diet drinks.  they actually make you consume more sugar elsewhere because your body is looking for something you aren't getting.  that isn't a good explanation, but it is what i am hearing from multiple sources.  so there must be something to it.  if you are going to drink a soda, drink a real one.  same for tea, koolaid, etc.  and i have 2 friends who are borderline diabetics and their drs told them the same thing.  either drink water, and have a real coke if the craving gets to bad, or figure out something else, but stay away from the artificial sweeteners if you can.  both put on weight when they switched to so called dietetic food.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Jessica

« Reply #88 on: May 04, 2010, 09:56:28 AM »
I have heard the exact same thing about the soda.  It makes sense.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #89 on: May 04, 2010, 12:05:02 PM »
Yes, I heard that years ago about the artificial sweeteners. I stopped using them. I haven't had a big difference in my weight with the change either.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #90 on: May 04, 2010, 07:33:03 PM »
I'm all for drinking real drinks.

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #91 on: May 04, 2010, 07:52:37 PM »
Many moons ago, when I was diagnosed diabetic, I quit drinking Pepsi and went to just water (among other diet changes) and lsot 90 lbs. Then I started drinking diet coke and the weight loss stopped. The when refined carbs snuck back in (breads and such) almost 1/2 the weight came back. I keep saying I'm going back to water and no refined carbs, but have yet to do it.
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #92 on: May 18, 2010, 10:55:43 AM »
Remember when I asked about flax seed?  I am reading right now that "a new analysis of 28 studies found that reduces total and LDL cholesterol, especially in postmenopausal womenand may help slow the growth of breast tumors in women and prostate cancer in men."  You need 2-3 tablespoons a day. 

I put some in my oatmeal yesterday but forgot today.  Phooey.

Jessica

« Reply #93 on: May 18, 2010, 10:58:00 AM »
Yes, it is very good for you.  Did you grind it up, Sheri?

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #94 on: May 18, 2010, 11:14:57 AM »
Yes.  I read or heard somewhere that it takes too long for the seed casing to break down and you don't get the benefit of it.

Jessica

« Reply #95 on: May 18, 2010, 12:05:03 PM »
I heard the same thing.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #96 on: May 18, 2010, 12:35:02 PM »
Yep it needs grinding. I didn't know that at first and was going along thinking I was doing good tucking it into my baked muffins and things, whole.  :laughmao:
I don't remember everything every day. I also have things in capsules for supplementing if I remember. But I prefer to eat than take pills. Eating feels a little more natural to me.
Fish oils will also bring your numbers down and give you good tools to fight those free radicals (cancer cells looking for a place to settle and grow). I don't eat much fish. I keep swearing I'm going to add it to my diet but I have it once and don't feel like it again for a month or more. I don't eat much meat at all any more. Maybe 6 total times a week I will have a couple of ounces in some form. If you think that so many of us eat meat for at least two meals a day, I have really gone off it.
I have tried to be pretty diligent in my breakfast foods. Whole grains in hot cereal form. And cutting back on the sweeteners in them. Using more berries instead of honey and things.
I am reading more labels. Trying to reduce the HFCS in our foods. That is tough because it is everywhere. Even in some savory foods. And bbq sauce and pork and beans and..... And options without it are often more expensive.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #97 on: May 18, 2010, 01:17:27 PM »
I don't eat much meat either and I don't take supplements either.  Once in a while I take vitamin D because mine was low the last time it was checked.  I do eat blueberries which Johnny told me this morning are tainted or something horrible like that.  I eat an apple or orange a few times a week sometimes.  If I can remember I'll put my flax seed in my oatmeal though.  Can't hurt.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #98 on: May 18, 2010, 05:24:25 PM »
The blueberries as well as other fruit are in the news lately due to pesticides maybe causing ADD or ADHD in children. I am using organic frozen blueberries.

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #99 on: May 18, 2010, 05:33:23 PM »
You can't eat anything anymore that doesn't have some sort of negative impact according to the experts. Or so it seems.
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal