Author Topic: Pretty Tough Bush - [Solved] Gumball Spiraea  (Read 3155 times)

Offline Patty S

Pretty Tough Bush - [Solved] Gumball Spiraea
« on: May 29, 2007, 04:41:56 PM »
It's pretty and tough, actually! Every year I trim this waaayy back so it doesn't block the narrow path in front of our deck, but it seems to like that treatment cuz it always fills back out & comes back with these pretty flowers all over it. (It's not deciduous.)

I suppose I should have waited until all the buds opened up, cuz it's just gorgeous then! 

Here's a closeup of the blossoms.

It's been here since before we moved in, but I've never found out the name of it. Anybody know?
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2007, 01:14:33 PM by Jim »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Re: Pretty Tough Bush
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 09:26:44 PM »
Wonder if it is a Spiraea x bumalda 'Frobelii'

I googled pink, flowering bush and came up with this!

If you scroll down, you will run into it...

About the Spiraea - Frobeli :

The Frobeli Spirea, Spiraea x bumalda, has new foliage that is purplish with bright pink to red early summer flowers. Vigorous grower with bright purplish-pink flowers in June-July. It has purplish tips on the foliage in spring.

Leaves turn purple in fall for a striking color display. They will thrive in most locations. It is an upright, rounded shurb that is excellent as a small hedge, and when not in bloom, it is still an attractive neat plant.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 09:32:29 PM by Dianna »
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Patty S

Re: Pretty Tough Bush
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 12:04:47 AM »
Yup, I think you nailed it, Dianna! I guess I'm not creative enough to Google something as brainy as "pink, flowering bush"!

Look at the Gumball Spiraea on the 2nd page of the Image Search list though. That's exactly what I have!

Thanx!

« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 12:43:05 AM by Patty S »

Offline jv

• Love animals and gardening
    • Jimmy the Critter Keeper
Re: Pretty Tough Bush - [Solved] Gumball Spiraea
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 11:08:49 PM »
Patty does it seed or will you need to send me a cutting? If the latter please advise on how to start it. ;D

Offline Patty S

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 11:35:08 PM »
Good question, Jimmy! Let me check into that. I'm not sure how large this bush can get, cuz I've whacked it back every year... but in the right place, it would be a great low maintenance plant!

I know that the little flowers must make seeds, but there hasn't seemed to be any new little bushes coming up anywhere around it in the past 3 1/2 years that we've been here, so maybe they need some kind of special treatment.

I think that most bushes can be propagated from cuttings or root division though, so I'll see what I can come up with
...or maybe Sarah or Tina know our answer.

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 10:08:56 AM »
 ;D I had a white spiraea, but havent seen the pink before......very pretty!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal