Author Topic: Lowe's: Budget Warning!!!  (Read 2408 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Lowe's: Budget Warning!!!
« on: Jun 04, 2010, 09:26:53 AM »
I've been working on my "honey do" list.  Recently I refined the design I want in the guest bathroom.  I decided on a cream and black decor and I wanted one of those counter/sink combinations so that I could get rid of the ichy green linoliuem counter.  So when I went to Lowe's to get the weed barrier I went in to the powderroom.  And what was displayed in the isle?  My sink/counter cabinet combination and the matching wall mount medicine cabinet.  The sink combination was only 88 dollars and the mirror was only 69 with a side shelving unit for 19.  Now add a new faucet for 69 and that corner of the bathroom would be done except that to install it they want 248.00. 

Now considering the trouble I've had installing plumbing so far the question is do I want to try it again?  What do you think?  Should I or shouldn't I?

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
Re: Lowe's: Budget Warning!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 04, 2010, 09:41:57 AM »
Tammy, can you really afford it? Will it put you back so far you can't eat? Will it interfere with paying your property taxes? Or anything else that will throw you into a downward financial spiral? Would you be opening some kind of charge card? So it will hang you up with payments and interest payments? All things to think about. Then do what you really need to do.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #2 on: Jun 04, 2010, 10:04:16 AM »
Well the sink has a hole in it that I've caulked with waterproof caulk.  So yes it needs to be replaced.  Could I just get another fiberglass sink, yes.  But then I'd have something I really don't like.  What my plan is, is to replace things that are broken with things that are better when I do get the replacements. 

I have the money in savings but it puts back the roof repair another 6 months.  And although the roof won't need replacing for about 5 to 10 years I can't put it off forever.  If I can do it myself it's within budget.  But if I have to call in help then it gets dicey.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #3 on: Jun 04, 2010, 12:23:01 PM »
Sounds like a very good deal to me, then. Go for it. Maybe in 4-10 years we can all converge on you and get your roof done.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #4 on: Jun 04, 2010, 12:35:31 PM »
It does sound like a good deal... is there anyone at your church who could help you with the install and save you some money on it?

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #5 on: Jun 04, 2010, 02:25:44 PM »
I was thinking I should discuss it with my home teacher.  And just about as I had decided I was putting groceries away and the refrigerator and freezer doors kept popping open because the seals are gone.  I think I'll call the appliance guy and see how much to have new seals installed in the refrigerator. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #6 on: Jun 04, 2010, 07:05:59 PM »
What is a home teacher?

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #7 on: Jun 05, 2010, 06:04:59 AM »
They are male member of the church who comes to the house to teach lessons about the gospel from our magazine.  They are assigned in pairs to each adult woman in the church.  They are also responsible along with a team of women (our visiting teachers) to make sure that basic necessities are available to every family.  The Latter Day Saints are very aware it's hard to set our sites on higher spiritual ground when tummy's are empty.

Some of the things home teachers have done for me since I've been in the church along with teaching wonderful lessons are:  Comming to the meetings when I had to move to make sure I had the information correct,  driving the moving truck out to my new place, helping with the heavy yard work that I couldn't do, rescuing me when I tried to add a hose to my kitchen faucet and couldn't finish the project.   

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal