Author Topic: Radish HELP!!!  (Read 3306 times)

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
Radish HELP!!!
« on: Jun 16, 2010, 02:43:02 PM »
I had a gorgeous row of radish TOPS, pulled 'em up and there were NO radishes!  :o Which nutrient am I missing if the root isnt forming?  :dunno:  Well, there was one.  :rolleyes1:  'Bout the size of a pea. Caint make a pot of soup with that!! (   :laugh1::mad2:

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
Re: Radish HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 16, 2010, 03:20:25 PM »
I have never known what to do with radishes besides just eat them or slice them in a sald.
In ferts with NPK numbers you want a higher middle one. Phosphorous for roots, bulbs and flowers. Nitrogen for green top growth  (Grass and shrubs and such). And potassium (potash),the K in NPK, for overall plant health (And a strong stalk).

Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #2 on: Jun 16, 2010, 03:30:09 PM »
Phosphorus! Where do i get that organically? Some said it was too warm for them this spring here. Could be that too.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #3 on: Jun 16, 2010, 03:54:25 PM »
I don't know the answer Wrennie.  I know that most years I have radishes for months and once in a while I get roots just like  you've gotten.  This year, and I think due to the early heat, I got one good turn with the radishes but not so good with replants.  The 3rd time I replanted, which I do as I pull to eat, they flowered almost immediately.  The foliage was only about 2 or 3 inches tall and it flowered.

I've had the same problem with lettuce this year.  The red lettuce did great, then it immediately got a million degrees and I've planted bib lettuce seeds 2 times now with no results. 

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #4 on: Jun 16, 2010, 06:10:51 PM »
The best organic P can be found in manure. Even then it sometime depends on what that animal has been eating, too. But you don't really want manure right touching your edible bulbs. So on top of the soil or mixed around but not in the planting.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #5 on: Jun 17, 2010, 07:31:47 AM »
you don't want fresh manure anyway.  Just get compost that came from manure.

You also need to check the pH of your soil if it is to acid then you may also be lacking calcium which can be corrected by correcting your pH or adding powdered egg shells to the soil.  I add it to my compost while it is degrading even though it's not necessary.

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: Jun 17, 2010, 05:49:33 PM »
While manure will add phosphorus, it will also add nitrogen. See if you can find a bag or box of rock phosphate...and use sparingly. It takes soil microbes a few years to fully break it down, but some will also be available immediately.
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #7 on: Jul 17, 2010, 09:05:00 AM »
are  you going to try more radishes when it gets cool Wrennie?

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #8 on: Jul 18, 2010, 08:57:41 AM »
Yes, whhenever it gets cool! :giggle: Seems the whole country is hot hot hot this week.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #9 on: Jul 18, 2010, 05:54:48 PM »
Everyone but us.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal