Author Topic: Sprinkler won't occilate  (Read 2340 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Sprinkler won't occilate
« on: Jul 25, 2010, 07:34:07 AM »
I really do know better than buy things from wal-mart that have moving parts but I did it last year.  I bought this cheap sprinkler.  Now some times it occilates and sometimes it doesn't.  So times it goes this way and sometimes the other.  I never know what it's going to do until I set it down then I have to stand there for just about forever because it will move in jerks.  Is this a fixable problem or do I need to buy a better one? 

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
Re: Sprinkler won't occilate
« Reply #1 on: Jul 25, 2010, 10:35:08 AM »
I have some like that, Tammy. It is frustrating. Sometimes it is a little water pressure problems and sometimes it is grit that gets into the works somehow. I doubt you will be able to fix it. But you could try taking it back to Walmart and showing the department manager your problem. You may just end up with a new one. Next time, save your receipt and packaging. That is helpful also. Most have a simple warranty of some kind.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #2 on: Jul 25, 2010, 09:45:51 PM »
Below are fixes that I found on another forum.

Get a tube of silicon grease and lubricate the plastic cam and follower (The part that makes sprinkler oscillate) Also the seals/bearings, on the ends of oscillation tube need to be lubricated.

Fix for oscillating sprinklers that have stopped oscillating!
 to get plastic oscillating sprinklers to oscillate again by soaking it in white vinegar. In order to use the least amount of vinegar as possible take the base off of the sprinkler and only submerged the portion of the sprinkler containing the gears (near where the sprinkler attaches to the hose) by filling a small container with white vinegar. Let them soak overnight.

I have no idea whether there could be side effects of the vinegar on the plastic. The sprinkler looked fine and performed like new again.

This is me ->?

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #3 on: Jul 26, 2010, 08:22:46 AM »
so mineral deposits are probably causing the problem.  I can believe that my water is heavy in salts. 

I'm going to try lubricating it.  Thanks Bonnie.

Offline Jayrod1972

« Reply #4 on: Jul 26, 2010, 10:06:11 AM »
If the lubricant don't work just buy another one, taking it back to wal mart is like beating a dead horse. I have found out that every manufacturer has a cheaper line of products with their name it.. and the warranty on the product might be only 1 year < season> and that would probably through the manufacturer. Home Depo or Lowes would be place to buy stuff like that, good thing wal mart doesnt build cars.   :laugh1:
“Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me”

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #5 on: Jul 26, 2010, 11:55:19 AM »
I agree absolutely.  Wal-Mart is the pits.  But sometimes cheap is all I can afford.  And I've been cheated at Lowe's and Home Depot and English's too.  That last one is local. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal