Author Topic: Flowering Bush with Green/Yellow foliage [Solved] Ligustrum Vulgare  (Read 2891 times)

Offline Patty S

I never cared much for this bush, cuz it grows fast & I have to cut it back a couple times every summer, to keep it from taking over the pathway in front of it. This year I went to trim it way back, & almost wrecked it in the process! I'll shape it as it grows so it doesn't look so ridiculous, but I just don't want it to be 7 feet tall like it has been! I think it started out as a single bush, but noticed that new plants had taken off on both sides of it, from its roots.

I can't remember now if it's deciduous or not, but it does make little flowers for about a month every summer.  Here's a closeup of the leaves & flower buds.

It would probably make a nice looking hedge if it were cut back & shaped every year, & now that I know it'll spread itself out from new shoots, this fall I'd like to switch it with the Azaleas that are in the front yard by the driveway.

I'd also like to know what its name is. 
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2007, 01:29:03 PM by Dianna »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Re: Flowering Bush with Green/Yellow foliage
« Reply #1 on: Jun 04, 2007, 06:20:03 AM »
Is it Euonymus alatus?

It looks like some type of Euonymus to me...
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Sylvia

• Newest
« Reply #2 on: Jun 04, 2007, 03:24:37 PM »
The name of this bush is ligustrum.   It seems to draw small white gnats or bugs.

Sylvia

Offline Patty S

« Reply #3 on: Jun 04, 2007, 05:08:04 PM »
Dianna, if I'm not mistaken, I think that  Euonymus alatus is also called "Burning Bush".  I have a couple of those in the front yard & they start turning red as the weather cools down.  This one doesn't change to a pretty color like those, but if I remember right, it's leaves do go from green, to yellow, to a brownish color.

Some of the buds opened up today.

I think Sylvia was right, Ligustrum vulgare.   I've never noticed any bugs on or around it though... will have to keep a closer eye on it this year (which I'll have more opportunity to do, since I've finally made some garden beds back there). Peggy was here today & said she thought it was some type of "Privit".  I looked up both of those & they seem to be one and the same.

Thanx, gals!
« Last Edit: Jun 04, 2007, 09:14:01 PM by Patty S »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal