Author Topic: Brug  (Read 3315 times)

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
Brug
« on: Jan 22, 2011, 02:12:10 PM »
I have the brug that Dianna had given me last year, which really didn't grow worth a darn during the summer. Come fall, I transplanted it to a bigger pot and placed it in front of a window in the spare bedroom and it has really taken off. When I went to water it today, I discovered I have a ton of gnats living in/on the soil (they took flight when I watered it). Is there something I can use to do away with the gnats that won't hurt the plant? I thought of grabbing the Raid, then thought twice. I don't want to harm the brug now that its growing so nicely!
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
Re: Brug
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2011, 02:19:47 PM »
Put a thick layer of sand over ALL the soil. They are likely fungus gnats, and need to lay their eggs in the soil to reproduce. Easy, cheap, non-toxic fix. :)

You might want to check any other houseplants as well.
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2011, 02:41:57 PM »
I haven't noticed any in my other houseplants. The brug is the only one that sits right in front of the window all day long, and its the only one in that room. I will have to get some sand. Thanks Sarah
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2011, 03:08:07 PM »
For today, before you get your sand, you can try a light solution of dish detergent in a spray bottle with water. Spray that soil. It may help until you can get the sand.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2011, 03:49:17 PM »
Being done as I type this. Thanks Tina. And I have sand on order. My son is bringing it when he comes out tomorrow - he lives 5 minutes from a beach as opposed to the almost hour it would take me to get there.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2011, 05:33:41 PM »
You do not want beach sand. Salt will kill your plant.

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2011, 05:37:40 PM »
Hmmm, I didn't think about that. I will have to find some. Thanks.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2011, 05:39:05 PM »
Playsand or construction sand will work.

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2011, 05:40:03 PM »
How did I get the gnats to begin with? Its the only plant with the problem. Have I been overwatering? The plant itself looks really good.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2011, 05:42:02 PM »
No, bugs will find what they want. You may have had only one or two. Or a wee baby one came inside with the dogs. You can't really ever tell where they come from. But they do.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2011, 11:40:11 PM »
aquarium gravel works too barb.  and if you get the beach sand, you just put it in a bucket of water and pour off the water a couple of times.  but tina is right, play sand or builders sand works too.  or you can get the sand out of your driveway.  i've done that before.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal