Author Topic: Bird's Nest - What kind??  (Read 3202 times)

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
Bird's Nest - What kind??
« on: May 02, 2011, 07:43:42 PM »
Wrennie, HELP!

this bird's nest is in a hanging planter.  it is hard to tell that it is a nest at all, but i saw momma fly out of it.  unfortunately, she startled me as much as i startled her and i couldn't see what she was.  the only things i got from the encounter was that she wasn't much bigger than a large or extra large chicken's egg and was brown.  just a little more tan than the color of the nest itself.

any clues?
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Re: Bird's Nest - What kind??
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 11:11:51 PM »
Dove? :unsure:

ETA: Nope, probably not. Our doves are a lot bigger than an egg... :BigGrin:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 10:53:03 AM »
i am thinking maybe a sparrow or a wren.  i just don't know.  i should do some research...  but hopefully  wrennie will wander in and just know :BigGrin:

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 07:39:01 AM »
Did I hear my name??

At first glance I guessed dove or starling but they definitely arent that small and brown. Wren is a possibility but if it is  a wren it isnt done nest building. There are also some warblers that start with a mess like that and then make a neat nest in the middle of it. And as you said sparrows such as song sparrows build starting with that sort of loose mess and then add a firmer one in the middle. Keep watching.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 12:06:05 PM »
not a clue
This is me ->?

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 12:09:44 PM »
There is a neat nest in the middle. What you can't see on the picture is that there os a hollow in the pile so it looks like the hole on a bird house. I'll try for better pictures.

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 07:57:57 AM »
Ooooooh! I see it now! Up a the top of the picture with a brown leaf at the front edge? I'll stick with sparrow of some sort I think. Keep watching from as much a distance as you can so she doesn't scare off.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 02:36:08 PM »
well, i thought i'd help, here is the opening circled in red.  but i can't see the red very well :razberry:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 04:51:22 PM »
I am wondering if it is a killdeer's nest. :unsure: If so, that is all the nest is going to be. They don't do too much for their nests except to have a little shallow spot...
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 07:05:20 PM »
you can't really see, but the hole goes into a hollow that looks to be about 3-5 inches deep.  it really is a little cave :giggle:

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 07:40:16 AM »
Definitely not killdeer. They cammo their eggs with gravel, cinders, rubble. No vegetation and they're on the ground, not up somewhere.

Bachmans sparrow, perhaps...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal