Author Topic: Ah Wildlife  (Read 7835 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Ah Wildlife
« on: Jun 25, 2011, 07:12:58 AM »
Well besides the ninja rabbits, the fox, various unseen voles and moles I just had a visit from a white tail deer.  Usually they come around later for the fox grapes, but not this one, he wanted the blueberry bush.  As if it needs pruning lol.  So what visitors have you had to your veggie patch, rose garden or other areas?

Offline UNCLEG

Re: Ah Wildlife
« Reply #1 on: Jun 26, 2011, 03:00:34 PM »
I get some of everything, rabbits, squirrels, foxes, coyotes, turkeys, deer. possums, coons, wild hogs, ferral cats and of course the neighbors dogs.  Even a bear.  Most recently it was a 5ft long chicken snake...may he rest in pieces  hysteria

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #2 on: Jun 26, 2011, 04:04:43 PM »
I get most of the above except the turkeys, hogs and I have never seen a bear. Neighbors have though. I can add mountain lions (cougars), bobcats and rattlesnakes. Most of our deer are mule deer. We also have rats and mice that make edible gardening challenging.
Birds are welcomed here and I have fun ones. Like quail, roadrunners and year round hummers. The doves make my elderberry trees sing when they are fruiting.
We have a couple of exotic beast rescue ranches around and we get occasional escapees. I have seen a buffalo (American bison) walking down my dirt road. And a 200 pound chimpanzee taking a walk on the wild side tossing black walnuts down on us from a tree, laughing. An ostrich. I don't remember what else.
I have water out for the critters all of the time. Just in case.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: Jun 26, 2011, 09:39:51 PM »
my son in law has slight trouble with rabbits in his garden.  more with bugs and such.  but for general wildlife on my property, i have a resident bobcat, white tail deer, rabbits, a variety of birds, mice/rats, and i'm pretty sure snakes and turtles on the back acre.  but we never go on the back acre, so they are welcome to live there.  the bobcat lives in the back 2-3 acres, and i live on the front 2.  (5 acres total, only about 1/2 "cleared" my acres are almost square, lined up into a rectangle)  but in the "neighborhood" we also have coyotes, fox, raccoons, armadillos, and i have seen one beaver as road kill.  i'm told we also have otters, and down the road they have gators.  i might have, but doubt it, my cypress bay is too shallow.  i will have lots of challenges if i ever move from 5 gal bucket planting to a real garden.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #4 on: Jun 27, 2011, 12:30:34 PM »
Cute, UG.

Duh, maybe the deer saw the fox and thought he better get there early before the fox ate the fox grapes.

What are fox grapes?
This is me ->?

Offline wimc

• wimcsh
« Reply #5 on: Jun 27, 2011, 07:22:54 PM »
Mostly coyotes and deer.

There are black bears, cougars, bobcat/Lynx around, but not seen as above animals are. Hear those big cats a lot.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: Jun 27, 2011, 08:15:57 PM »
The only reason we know about the bobcat was in the first couple of years we lived here, my dog monster thought it was a feral cat and started to give chase (he was exploring the woods) and he ended up being the chase-ee. He headed to the house and the cat headed to the back woods. I caught it outt of the corner of my eye, scott saw it as good as you could in the brush.  Bobcats around here are not that big.  Maybe twice the size of a house cat.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #7 on: Jun 27, 2011, 09:59:56 PM »
We have deer, rabbit, fox, snakes, gators, and coyotes. I am not sure of what other local critters... :ScratchHead:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #9 on: Jul 06, 2011, 11:31:00 PM »
Fox Grapes came before the Concord Grape.  It has a very narrow layer of sweet flavor just below the skin and the rest is soooooooo sour it's barely edible.  I'm told though that if I use a lot of sugar it makes great jam. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #10 on: Jul 14, 2011, 11:45:06 PM »
Well the fox was back this morning and yesterday evening the deer grazed through the back yard.  Now if I could just teach her to graze in one spot until the grass was uniformly short I'd be in good shape.  Yeah right hehehe.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #11 on: Jul 15, 2011, 12:11:41 AM »
We saw a bobcat on the way to Cracker Barrel the other night. It was maybe a 1/2 mile from where we live... :o
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #12 on: Jul 15, 2011, 09:00:06 AM »
wow they have a pretty large territory so he probably considered your property his/hers too.  My shadow wouldn't stand a chance at your place.  He refuses to stay in.  I worry every morning he isn't waiting for me at the door. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: Jul 15, 2011, 01:44:35 PM »
tammy, i have a bobcat on my property, and 2 outside cats.  the bobcat stays away from the inhabited area and the outside cats stay by the house.  now, having said i have the bobcat, it may well be gone now, it's been a few years since we last saw it.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #14 on: Jul 15, 2011, 03:09:25 PM »
The bobcat will probably not bother your pet cat. They really don't often unless cornered or something. They also prefer not to eat their own kind.
The bobcat will, however try to capture some of your pesky critters, from mice to rabbits. I would just say welcome!

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #15 on: Jul 15, 2011, 07:32:53 PM »
bobcats will also kill a fawn.

We've seen a big hare.  They're are UGLY.  I never thought about it before but Bug Bunny was UGLY.  We have black snakes, that I don't kill, and baby bunnies.  We've always had deer but they don't eat out of my garden.  I don't know what I plant that they don't like but they've never bothered anything that I know of.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #16 on: Jul 16, 2011, 09:57:44 AM »
I don't have a bobcat.  I have a fox and I hope he is willing to eat rabbit, voles, moles, and mice.  And I hope although I doubt that Shadow will leave him alone. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #17 on: Jul 16, 2011, 11:25:48 AM »
I hate to jinx myself but the critters around here don't seem to bother our garden.  The deer or something eats the blackberries but I don't care.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #18 on: Jul 17, 2011, 07:10:14 AM »
That's great that the critters don't bother your garden.  I'd like to manage that here.

Offline wimc

• wimcsh
« Reply #19 on: Jul 18, 2011, 09:16:56 PM »
Wildlife can do whatever they like, as long as coyotes stay out of the yard, seen a fox left side of the house once, scared it off, it scrambled to get on other side of the fence away from me. Coyotes and deer walk on the road all the time. Deer frequent our back property to graze, or just to pass through for next property behind us for water (creek/pond).

Humming birds are crazy. Earlier saw half dozen of them fighting for feeder space. Fun to watch also.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #20 on: Aug 04, 2011, 08:10:43 AM »
Hummingbirds would drive shadow crazy I think.  Yesterday evening I had a 4 point buck in the back yard.  he was checking out the wild grapes to see if they were ready yet I guess.  I do love the wildlife. 

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #21 on: Aug 04, 2011, 10:30:07 PM »
Even though I'm on the outskirts of town, and only a coupe of blocks from about 100+ undeveloped acres, I don't get much wildlife here - squirrels, possums, rabbits and feral cats. Probably a snake or two though, thankfully, I haven't run into one yet, and a ton of bees, wasps, hornets, etc.  To see a deer or something along those lines, I'd probably have to move a couple blocks down the road.
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #22 on: Aug 04, 2011, 10:59:16 PM »
Put a salt lick in your front yard, Barb. You may get some deer to help your weed abatement problem.

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #23 on: Aug 05, 2011, 06:50:20 PM »
I doubt it. Every piece of property around me is completely cleared. Mine has a ton of trees, then it gets wooded on the other side of the one neighbor for several hundred feet, then all cleared again. You really do have to go about two or three blocks behind me to get to those hundreds of acres of undeveloped property. Most are, like mine, one acre tracts, so lots of homes  (and dogs) in that cleared area.
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #24 on: Aug 08, 2011, 11:05:10 AM »
This area is cleared, but each one seems to keep some trees around the edges of the property and the lots are 1 1/2 acre with mobile homes, kids, dogs and cats.  It doesn't seem to slow down the deer at all.  Well we don't have herds that I've seen anyway but there are does in small groups of 2 or 3 sometimes.  And I already mentioned the buck.  I think they mostly come through when the fruit is rippening.  I don't know where they are the rest of the time but they can't be to far away because one gets hit about once a week on our road. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal