Author Topic: Sensational Summer Posies  (Read 10262 times)

Offline Patty S

Sensational Summer Posies
« on: Jun 21, 2007, 01:33:53 AM »
         Summer is finally here!
   Let's all share what's happening in our gardens.

« Last Edit: Jul 03, 2007, 10:22:27 AM by Patty S »

Offline Peggy

what is flowering at the moment
« Reply #1 on: Jun 24, 2007, 11:42:26 PM »
this is what is flowering now in my yard   :picture:

Sweet Peas

Asiatic Lily

Lavatera, or Rose Mallow (found the identification stake buried with the plant, while transplanting.)
http://home.howstuffworks.com/define-lavatera-rose-mallow.htm

Wild Leek????  Allium commutatum????

kind of think this one looked like it was wearing a hat. lol

hugs peg
« Last Edit: Jul 24, 2007, 02:09:45 PM by pegrowe62 »
How are you?  I'm great!  Glad to see you! Hope we meet again!

Offline Patty S

Re: Sensational Summer Posies
« Reply #2 on: Jun 25, 2007, 10:10:00 AM »
I took a break from weeding & trimming the Iris row yesterday, & took some pics of my summer gardens!

Only a couple things came up that BG & I planted from seed last month (I guess they knew it wasn't April anymore), so we went out & bought bedding plants.  They're all happy as they can be, & they're sooo pretty!

Celosia is a new one for me, & BG picked these out... wanted every color they had.   I looked it up & it's part of the "cockscomb" family.  I think these "Crested Celosia" look more like the combs that chickens have, than the plumed ones do.

This is a volunteer Tomatillo, from last year. 

We turned all this soil & left it sit for a week or so, to see if the weeds were going to come through before we planted our bedding plants. They did, of course, & as we weeded we saw several things that didn't look like weeds to us, so we left them alone.  They turned out to be more Tomatillo seedlings, & there are 21 of the darned things!  I called Peggy last night & offered some to her, & she's coming over today to get them.  (They get too tall to be in the front of the bed, where most of them are.)

We do Gazanias every year, & I just love 'em! They only open up when the sun shines on them, so they're no good as cut flowers.

I'd never seen a white Periwinkle before, & will try transplanting this to the hill above my Iris row, where my purple Vincas are, later on in the summer.  I have variegated green & dark green leafed ones there now, but I'm not sure if this variety of Periwinkle is perineal or not.

Next to the white Vinca are Dianthus & yellow Rudbekia.

Some of last year's seeds we'd planted in this bed were from our Rudbekias, but we didn't have yellow ones.  I like them cuz they bloom all summer. 

We also put in a Heliotrope & Cuphea, but have never had either of those before.  (I don't know why I put the Dahlia in this garden, cuz I know it's not deer proof!) The Zinnias that we started from seed aren't flowering yet.

Cuphea "Firecracker".

Last in that bed, is the stand of Shasta Daisies, to the side of the arbor where I'm still waiting for flowers to open up on my Passion Vines.

In the back yard, where the deer can't get to them, are our 4 little Lisianthus plants, that have already started blooming.  The one I wintered over from last year is still in the other garden bed & I need to move it. It was really tall last year (& is again this year)... I'm wondering if they are different varieties, cuz these plants are real short & are already blooming.  I'd rather have the tall plants, cuz the blossoms get so big & the stems are longer, & they make such terrific cut flowers

I never did move my Clematis to a stronger trellis, but they seem to be fine on the one I made from Quince branches.  This blossom has been there for a week or two, & had been a pretty pale purple at first.  I was waiting for the other buds to open before I took a pic, but they're taking their own sweet time!  (Now that I took a pic of it, watch the other ones open!)

I have more, but this is enough for now!
« Last Edit: Jun 25, 2007, 11:03:25 AM by Patty S »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: Jun 25, 2007, 10:30:53 AM »
Beautiful bloomers, Peggy! I sure wish you would put a name on them, though. I don't know what some of them are. :SmileyQmarks: Reckon you could go back and add 'em for me?  :grinnnn: That last one really does look like it is wearing a hat!  :D

:Wow: Patty, you have been working hard. Your flowers are all so pretty. :ThumbUp:

I haven't seen the "cockscomb" before, but will have to look for it when I do the chicken memorial garden! :clap: That is quite a unique looking plant. The celosias I usually buy are the feathery looking plumes...

The clematis is really beautiful on your home-made trellis. I am so glad that the quince branches are tough enough to support it. It really looks great!  :Glee:

I am sure that there are different vaieties of the lisianthus. I have seen a pink and a white one, too. They are really pretty plants.

I will have to take pictures of my flowers when they start putting on a show. If I haven't thrown them out as weeds, they ought to be pretty, too!  :laugh1:

"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #4 on: Jun 25, 2007, 11:10:11 AM »
Peggy, thank you so much for adding the names! :-*

I really like those sweet peas. I bought some to plant this year, but didn't get around to it. Do they really smell as good as I have read? I guess it is way too late for me to plant mine now...

:SlapSelf: I should have recognized the Asiatic Lily, but didn't. I think they are a beautiful flower. :) I love lilies!

"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

MassMama

« Reply #5 on: Jun 25, 2007, 06:40:25 PM »
I really don't have that much blooming right now
Here are my purple bells... ummm what is with the white one ???

Picture removed...

Green wizard rudbeckia looking different all the time

Picture removed...
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2008, 08:12:31 AM by Dianna »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #6 on: Jun 25, 2007, 09:24:29 PM »
I love the purple bells, Rita!  Are they, also, called Platycodon (Balloon Flowers)? What is the pink flower underneath them? :SmileyQmarks:

That rudbeckia is an awesome looking plant! Very unique looking... :)

MassMama

« Reply #7 on: Jun 25, 2007, 10:11:25 PM »
Ohhh those are fern leaf bleeding hearts they bloom till fall unlike their realitive ...

Offline Patty S

« Reply #8 on: Jun 26, 2007, 01:21:08 AM »
Past our front yard, on the other side of the dead end road where our motor home is parked, there's a bluff with a sharp drop-off.  As much as I hate the mountain of wild roses that grow there, they are sort of pretty... & it keeps our yard from sliding down the hill! (I didn't want to live right in town, anyway!)  It's very invasive, & we have to keep it cut back, cuz it tries to trail over the road. 

Because there are so many, & the thorns are soooo nasty that there's no way to get into the thicket (plus I'm not sure where the drop-off is, in that mess), I don't even try to deadhead them... but they bloom all summer long.  (And they never get watered unless it rains!)

I guess it must make seeds that blow over into the field, cuz when I was weeding the Iris yesterday, I spotted several little starts that are identical to our "rose mountain"!  I'm glad that the guy who owns the field is keeping it mowed, cuz I wouldn't want to be surrounded by these!

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #9 on: Jun 26, 2007, 06:27:38 AM »
Rita, I like that bleeding heart, too! It looks nice mixed in with the purple and that one, little white bloom... :ThumbUp:

Patty, I bought a yellow rose sometime last summer. I found out that it would be an invasive rose, so gave it to Aunt Bonnie's best friend. I love flowers that grow wild, but when it starts eating everything in its' path, it scares me!  :D You have to admit, though, that that hill is pretty covered in pink... ;)

Offline Peggy

In My Front Yard
« Reply #10 on: Jun 29, 2007, 11:42:46 AM »
just a couple of shots

The first one is a Sweet Pea, and I'm in the process of trying to photograph a bee that visits them every day!

The second is a Crocosmia.
These are from the Iris family.  Here is a link on how to grow them:
http://www.gardenersnet.com/bulbs/crocosmia.htm

Have a great rest of the day! peg :Halo: lol, ya right!
How are you?  I'm great!  Glad to see you! Hope we meet again!

Offline G-Mom

Some garden pics
« Reply #11 on: Jun 30, 2007, 02:47:18 PM »
I figured it was time to post some of my pretties too :grinnnn:

Daylily....first year it has bloomed!

Agave

Mimosa that I started from seed 3 years ago

Rain Lillies

Some roses

Betty Boop rose

G-Mom

MassMama

Re: Some garden pics
« Reply #12 on: Jul 01, 2007, 07:04:38 AM »
Ohhh those rain lillies are Beautiful!!
Wonder if they would grow in my frozen tundra??
Your flowers are beautiful G-mom!!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Re: In My Front Yard
« Reply #13 on: Jul 02, 2007, 02:40:36 PM »
Well that explains why the Crocosmia seeds I planted didn't sprout lol.  I guess I forgot to research those or got the research on those mixed up with something else.  Sometimes I am such a ditz.  But, I do keep on trying.

Thankyou for sharing your pictures.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #14 on: Jul 02, 2007, 03:35:34 PM »
Time to show my bloomers, again... ;)

My petunias, marigolds, hibiscus, and the gerbera daisy that is fighting for its' life to live among the weeds I haven't gotten to yet... :Blush:

I love those rain lilies, Karen, and that Betty Boop rose!
« Last Edit: Jul 02, 2007, 03:37:05 PM by Dianna »

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: Jul 02, 2007, 07:01:09 PM »
I got a new camera! :goofy:

Here's one of my favorite roses

Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #16 on: Jul 02, 2007, 07:13:15 PM »
Oh, man, Sarah! I can almost smell that rose.  :grinnnn: It is beautiful...

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: Jul 02, 2007, 09:12:12 PM »
Thanks...I have a soft spot for lavender roses. :ThumbUp:

Everyones blooms are so pretty and cheerful. Keep them coming! :Glee:

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: Jul 02, 2007, 09:14:11 PM »
Beautiful! :ThumbUp:

I love crocosmia. It has such bold colors.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #19 on: Jul 02, 2007, 09:17:22 PM »
I can almost smell the sweetpeas from here. I love crocosmia too.  I have lucifer; a red.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
Pics of my front yard
« Reply #20 on: Jul 02, 2007, 10:16:39 PM »
I Took some good pics of my front "yard" today...

Come fall, there are some changes I plan on making, but over all I am very happy with the way it's going. :grinnnn:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
Re: Pics of my front yard
« Reply #21 on: Jul 02, 2007, 11:02:49 PM »
Sarah, that is simply beautiful. It looks like you have a forest of flowers going on there!  :ThumbUp: I bet your neighbors are all "oohing" and aahing" over your landscape. I am so green with envy here... :D

Looks like you really succeeded in making your lawn into a "no mow" zone!

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
    • My blog
« Reply #22 on: Jul 02, 2007, 11:15:42 PM »
I am told several times a day that my garden makes that person smile. :Glee: That makes it all worthwhile.

I am VERY VERY happy with the thyme "lawn". I am a little behind on weeding this week, due to my vacation, but as soon as I catch up I will post some pics of the "lawn".

Don't turn too green...just start getting a spot ready now...I am totally up for sharing seeds with you this fall, and you can either do "winter sowing" or start them in the spring. We can get you to where you are drowning in flowers too, if you would like.

MassMama

« Reply #23 on: Jul 03, 2007, 06:37:19 AM »
 :o Wow now that is alot of flowers !! Looks Great Sarah!!  :ThumbUp:

Offline G-Mom

« Reply #24 on: Jul 03, 2007, 08:23:38 AM »
That is amazing,Sarah!!!!!!!!!!  What else can I say,but,BEAUTIFUL!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal