Author Topic: SNAKES  (Read 3654 times)

Offline SwampPeople

SNAKES
« on: Oct 12, 2011, 01:47:45 AM »
Trying to post a picture for the first time. Hope it works. This is a Timber Rattler that I killed with a Stick in 2008. Whacked him up side the head. Put him in the back of my truck. Drove 3/4 mile to the house. Stretched him out across the tail gate, took some pictures. Put him in a trash bag and dropped it in the freezer. This picture shows what he looked like when I took him out of the freezer to have him mounted on a board. Wonder if he was just knocked out, instead of dead?? :shock:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Re: SNAKES
« Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2011, 06:26:15 AM »
Ghosts don't (normally) scare me, but that snake does! :SmileyFear:

I wouldn't be surprised if he had still been alive when you put him in the freezer. He wasn't coiled when you put him there, was he? :scaredy:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #2 on: Oct 12, 2011, 09:07:24 AM »
Coiled is the most compact way to freeze them, Dianna.
Good job, Swamp. I only kill rattlers that are trying to live to close to us here. But I no longer want to store them in the freezer for eating or preserving those skins later.
I do invite my neighbors to bring up non-venomous snakes to release around here. They are good destructive critter control.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline SwampPeople

« Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2011, 01:36:35 PM »
Nope, he was very LOOSE when I put him in the bag. :SmileyFear: That's the one that fell through the bag when I was putting meats in the freezer and dropped and rolled between my feet. My nephew said that I looked like I was roller skating and going nowhere. Probably why I had to have surgery on the back.
I have too many farm pets to let those things live around here. The cotton mouth that I killed a few weeks ago was in the dog pen and the dogs alerted me. I don't bother the rat/chicken snakes, but I do keep golf balls in the hen nests.  Once they get one of those, there is no coming back for more. Gotta get off of here. See ya tomorrow.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2011, 02:44:52 PM »
pandora, i'm not afraid of snakes, but i don't tolerate the poisonous ones.  i wish i could convince my menfolk that the best defense against them was to keep the land somewhat cleared...

and, if he was just knocked out when you were handling him, he may well have tried to coil to conserve heat when he "woke up" in the freezer...
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline SwampPeople

« Reply #5 on: Oct 12, 2011, 10:51:30 PM »
I Yi Yi. :unsure:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 13, 2011, 06:33:36 AM »
We haven't seen too many snakes around here, thank goodness. I saw the copperhead under the porch and Jim found a baby snake crawling around the foundation but, for the most part, they visit with my neighbors. :good2: We do have the property cleared so they should be in plain sight if they decide to visit, unless they are under the deck. I couldn't imagine trying to kill a snake if we had them. The day Angel found the copperhead under the deck, she and I went into the house and locked the doors until Jim got home... :SmileyFear:

My next-door friend, Barb, had a large snake on her sidewalk a couple days ago. I told her I wouldn't be visiting... :wink5:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 13, 2011, 09:14:50 AM »
Snakes are just great big worms. Wanna go fishin'?
This is me ->?

Offline SwampPeople

« Reply #8 on: Oct 13, 2011, 11:02:45 AM »
Bonnie, I would LOVE TO GO FISHIN! Never can find the time. But I ain't threadin a snake on my hook. Will you do it for me??

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 13, 2011, 11:06:17 AM »

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: Oct 13, 2011, 05:37:13 PM »
Snakes are just great big worms. Wanna go fishin'?
hysteria hysteria

bonnie, if i used a snake instead of a worm, i might get an eel instead of a fish... those are nasty to get on your hook!
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal