Author Topic: meatloaf instructions  (Read 3556 times)

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
meatloaf instructions
« on: Nov 30, 2011, 08:40:41 PM »
take however much hamburger (i usually use either a pound or  2 and divide for the freezer) and put it in a big bowl.  add 1 egg per 1/2 pound of meat (this binds it all together) and add as much onion/garlic/pepper/parsley as you would for spaghetti sauce.  if you use onion/garlic powder, mix it up some now.  if you use "the real thing" you can wait to do the mixing.  then add either dale's steak seasoning or Worcestershire sauce (i use a couple of tablespoons, i think, i don't measure, i "splash").  mix it a bit.  then add about a 1/2 cup of bread crumbs (or do what i do, and add stale bread/rolls that are pulled into small bits).  mix well and mold to whatever pan you are baking it in.  if you are making some for the freezer, like the pan with wax paper and mold the first one, take it out and wrap in the wax paper to freeze, then put what you are baking in the pan.  less mess and the frozen one will fit right in the pan!  bake at 350 about an hour, until done.

some people add either ketchup, tomato sauce, or bbq sauce on top when baking, either the whole time or the last half.  i don't.

i bake mine in the toaster oven all the time, comes out fine and saves me electricity.  i have a corning ware pan that fits perfectly.  hope this works for you!
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
Re: meatloaf instructions
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2011, 08:44:15 PM »
i forgot to add, i used to use my hands to mix it, but when i got sick, the thought of raw meat grossed me out.  i use a fork now, makes no difference in the outcome.  just takes a little longer.

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2011, 08:52:43 PM »
Bookmarked page. One thing I do that I do like is make a mixture of ketchup and brown sugar and spread thinly on the top. I normally use a seasoning mix when I make spaghetti :(. I will have to try this.
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2011, 08:55:14 PM »
you can use the seasoning mix barb, and just add the egg, bread crumbs, and dale's.  i put italian seasoning in mine all the time (lazy) :giggle:

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2011, 09:02:04 PM »
I made meatloaf tonight. I like a ground beef and an American sausage mix. Tonight I used 3# of beef to 24 oz. of sausage, and two fresh onions. Then bread crumbs or oatmeal or something like with other spices and one egg per pound of meat.  I end up with about 5+ pounds of meat loaf in two loaves. I hand form them in my roaster in an oven bag and bake both together. The second one gets cut in half and frozen for later meals or sandwiches. All done and my oven is only run once. No tomatoes.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2011, 09:07:05 PM »
scott doesn't like the sausage in it tina.  i've had it that way and it doesn't make a difference to me.  last night, scott said "sausage in this? it tastes like it" but i don't even have any sausage in the house.  and no tomato anything on mine either, although i have done.  i forgot about using oatmeal in place of the bread.  i should have done that yesterday!

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2011, 09:13:29 PM »
Oh, more meatloaf for me if Scott doesn't like sausage. I learned a long time ago that adding some liquid to meatloaves 'pushes' the fat out of it. I didn't used to do that and my meatloaves were fatty tasting.  I like broth or water or milk for the liquid. It also helps to mix the stuff together. The roasting bag just really helps with the dish washing later.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2011, 09:15:30 PM »
that is where the dale's or worcestershire sauce comes in for me.  i've also used soy, but that gets a little strong to have enough.  the meatloaf i made last night was about 3 pounds after all was said and done. there are 2 slices left

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal