Author Topic: Blossom End Rot???  (Read 4187 times)

MassMama

Blossom End Rot???
« on: Jun 24, 2007, 07:32:19 PM »
I just noticed that the end of my summer squash are rotting off :Crybaby: :SlapSelf: I know I seen something around about it but I am unsure of where it was....
How do you stop this from happening???
PLEASE tell me there is an easy or good cure for this... Poor little Squash were about 2 1/2 inches long...

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Re: Blossom End Rot???
« Reply #1 on: Jun 24, 2007, 08:07:22 PM »
by Pharmerphil:
1 tablespoon of Epsom Salts per foot of tomato plant, worked into the soil around the base of your plant, and you'll have no problems with blossom end rot.

This was the suggestion for tomato BER in another topic. I don't see why it wouldn't work for squash, too... ;)

Here is a page by Clemson Extension that may help you to keep it from happening.
« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2007, 08:12:08 PM by Dianna »
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

MassMama

« Reply #2 on: Jun 25, 2007, 06:17:08 AM »
 :clap: Thanks Dianna... I thought I was all in the clear and the flowers were dissapearing and I noticed it looked like piece of the flower stuck to the squash... Looked closer and YUCK it was the nasty Rot!!  :SmileyFear: Just hope I caught it in time!!  :ThumbUp:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #3 on: Jun 25, 2007, 06:33:08 AM »
From what I've read that will work as long as there is calcium in the soil for the plant to absorb.  If for some reason your soil is as poor as mine you may have to actually add the calcium to the soil.  I did that using powdered egg shells that I saved from cooking hard boiled eggs and then ground in the coffee grinder lol.  So if the epsom salts don't work that is a second option to try. 

But if your having rain like I am that alone hitting the leaves can stop the plant from being able to absorb the calcium like it should.

MassMama

« Reply #4 on: Jun 25, 2007, 06:41:56 AM »
Thanks I will keep that in my notebook too Duh... I really don't want to loose any more .... I will post a picture as soon I can load one up just in case it may be something else causing the problem!  :ThumbUp:

OK here is the picture
*broken link removed*
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2008, 12:26:17 AM by barleychown »

Pharmerphil

« Reply #5 on: Jun 26, 2007, 05:40:29 AM »
that is improper pollination Rita, either you need to do it yourself, or hire bee's :rofl1:
the only other possibility is EXTREME heat...heat will cause pooor pollination, the pollen will actually "cake" in the humidity.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #6 on: Jun 26, 2007, 06:09:42 AM »
I've heard but don't know that you are suppose to limit the number of female flowers on a vine to around three so they get all the energy for producing large good fruit.  I don't know if this is accurate.  Hopefully Pharmerphil will come back and know if this is true. 

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #7 on: Jun 26, 2007, 06:30:26 AM »
that is improper pollination Rita, either you need to do it yourself, or hire bee's :rofl1:
the only other possibility is EXTREME heat...heat will cause pooor pollination, the pollen will actually "cake" in the humidity.

Very interesting, Phil! I didn't know that. Thank you for sharing the knowledge that you have...

Wonder how much the bees would charge?  :laughmao:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

MassMama

« Reply #8 on: Jun 27, 2007, 06:02:32 AM »
 :Blush: I dunno  :unsure: It is my first garden  :grinnnn: I guess I should feel lucky I got it under control so fast..
I pulled all that had the spots on them and now I think the bugs and bees are doing their job... Next year I plan to plant some flowers below the veggies ... that should help attract some pollenators!!  :ThumbUp:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #9 on: Jun 27, 2007, 06:27:36 AM »
Bee Balm that'll do it.

MassMama

« Reply #10 on: Jun 27, 2007, 08:43:08 AM »
Actually I have some of that in my back yard ... I should dig some up and transplant it when it is done blooming... Orrr should I do it before just so I know it will keep the bees up there ... :unsure: Might go into shock and not bloom at all though... :ScratchHead:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #11 on: Jun 28, 2007, 06:01:31 AM »
I think after it is finished blooming is best. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal