Author Topic: Squash Seeds  (Read 2703 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Squash Seeds
« on: Jul 02, 2007, 08:00:01 AM »
Do squash seeds need to be fresh in order to germinate?  I planted a couple outside but nothing came up.  I've had the seeds about 2 years.  Are they too old?

Offline Patty S

Re: Squash Seeds
« Reply #1 on: Jul 02, 2007, 09:38:45 AM »
It's my understanding that squash seeds remain viable for several years, but soil & storage conditions can effect any seed's viability. (Duh, I might add that I've been reading your posts for several years, & believe that you are storing them properly.)

Did you plant your squash seeds recently, or was it a few months ago?  Some seeds seem to know when it's "planting season", & the only way to trick them into sprouting at other times is to start them indoors. 

The only way I know of to test them is to put them between a couple layers of wet paper toweling or a paper napkin, enclose that in a baggie & put it in a warm place... if they're still good, squash seeds should sprout within a week or so (give or take a few days). Go from there, & if you're planting now it might be best to continue them indoors until they develop true leaves.

Don't forget to harden them off before replanting outdoors.
« Last Edit: Jul 02, 2007, 10:00:11 AM by Patty S »

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #2 on: Jul 02, 2007, 10:45:37 AM »
Thanks Patty I'll give that a try this winter.  I think it is to late to start them for this year.  And I don't have enough compost now to try and grow them indoors. 

Pharmerphil

« Reply #3 on: Jul 06, 2007, 03:50:42 PM »
Duh, I didn't raise a giant pumpkin for competition this year, but I have planted seed fer them that was from the 80's
Patty mentioned storage, and that is the factor that matters.
There could of been many reasons, but I follow a procedure that increases your germination rate significantly.
I can bring the post over from my forum if you wish to see it?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal