Author Topic: My Veggie Garden  (Read 3508 times)

Offline Peggy

My Veggie Garden
« on: Jul 13, 2007, 12:07:42 AM »
Our garden is a work in progress..it is for lack of a better word a big experiment this year. We are learning what we can and can not do, and what to grow, what WILL grow. LOL

My aunt gave me some pumpkin seeds which we planted.  They were supposed to be GIANT pumpkins. Well, some of the fruits are coming on and some look like yellow pumpkins (our others are green still), some look like some odd looking gourds, and one even looked like a casaba melon. I'm not so sure there are many pumpkins there.

I took some photo's today.. I found potato's on top of the ground. 
Well, let me just share:

potatos

this is a pumpkin!

Our first Zuke!

funny looking pumpkin!

another one of our "giant pumpkins"

my mother in law is really hung up on the yellow stem of this one..she says it cant be a pumpkin and must be a gourd.  alrighty then!

This actually looks like it might turn out to be a pumpkin! hahaha!!!

Wind blowing a pumpkin or something flower....

These plants are at least three feet tall!! They want to take over the world!
Note they are growing on top of, and through my poor, poor tomato plants!! My hubby
trimmed them tonight!  But, probably not enough. Next year they will be planted across the yard! All by themselves!! hahaha!!

snuck in my hummerbird/butterfly corner!

and a very kewl daylily!

what can I say, I'm a picture freak! (crocosmia buds)

Take care, Peg
« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2007, 12:53:46 AM by pegrowe62 »
How are you?  I'm great!  Glad to see you! Hope we meet again!

Offline Patty S

Re: My Veggie Garden
« Reply #1 on: Jul 13, 2007, 01:01:28 AM »
:Wow: Am I impressed, OR WHAT?! Your punkin patch looks great!  When I was there, that whole area was nothing but dirt & weeds! I think it's so much fun to watch "mystery plants" come up! :Glee: Be sure to save seeds, cuz with them all together like that, you never know what kinds of things you'll be raising next year!

Your hummer/butterfly "corner" looks great too! :clap: (What you call a corner, would take up half of my back yard, you lucky duck!)

I really like the sun/shadows in your pics! Keep up the good work!

« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2007, 01:05:06 AM by Patty S »

Offline Peggy

« Reply #2 on: Jul 13, 2007, 10:30:24 AM »
If I save the seeds, and I have all these things that are not pumpkins growing, wouldn't the seeds be hybrids and not be much of anything??

just a question.  hugs,Peg
« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2007, 10:38:57 AM by pegrowe62 »

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: Jul 13, 2007, 01:30:17 PM »
Pumkins are fun, as are mystery plants. Yours look very happy and healthy!
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Patty S

« Reply #4 on: Jul 13, 2007, 02:55:03 PM »
If I save the seeds, and I have all these things that are not pumpkins growing, wouldn't the seeds be hybrids and not be much of anything??

just a question.  hugs,Peg

A few years ago, I was led to believe that "hybrid" seeds wouldn't even germinate. :ScratchHead: I had green & purple Sweet Basil growing, & although I knew they had undoubtedly been cross-pollinated, I saved the seeds anyway, & planted them the next year... & got some "freckled" Basil! :clap:

Sweet Basil, with "freckled" on the left, purple on the right.
(The germination rate was lower, however.)

As I understand it, that's how Casaba, Crenshaw, Honeydew & lots of those different melons got started.

Live a little & just try it... aint costing you anything! :grinnnn:
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2007, 01:34:35 AM by Patty S »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #5 on: Jul 13, 2007, 03:00:51 PM »
That is so neat that you have potatoes growing on top of the ground. Looks like your aunt gave you a mixture of seeds. It is interesting to see what all you have growing in your garden.

Great :picture:, too!
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Peggy

« Reply #6 on: Jul 13, 2007, 10:51:08 PM »
That is so neat that you have potatoes growing on top of the ground. Looks like your aunt gave you a mixture of seeds. It is interesting to see what all you have growing in your garden.

Great :picture:, too!

Thank you,
Ya what makes these plants even more special is that my aunt gave me these seeds just a week before she passed, so it's like a special gift. I was hoping that they were giant pumpkins so that I could in turn give each of the kids a pumpkin and tell them they were from our aunt.  I would have spread them around to all the little neices and nephews. 

Well, she gave me the Egyptian Walking Onions too. LOL. I pickled my first cup of the bulblets tonight!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal