Author Topic: Sick Bala Shark  (Read 2266 times)

Offline Patty S

Sick Bala Shark
« on: Jul 25, 2007, 07:17:47 PM »
What's happening to my fishy?!  :yikes:

He looks like he has MOLD on him

& it wasn't there yesterday! (Everyone else in the tank seem to be fine!)

« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2007, 11:36:20 PM by Patty S »

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
Re: Sick Bala Shark
« Reply #1 on: Jul 25, 2007, 07:37:07 PM »
Patty, I'm guessing it's a water mold infection. I'll send you some info...

Quick treatment is the key!
« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2007, 11:37:39 PM by Patty S »
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Patty S

Re: Sick Bala Shark
« Reply #2 on: Jul 25, 2007, 09:12:19 PM »
Thanx for your response, Sarah. :kissies: The link you sent me was right on the money & I rushed off to the Aquarium shop & got some Erythromycin, as recommended.

It's so strange, how fast this bacterial fungus moved in, & I'm totally surprised that it didn't hit the clown fish first, as it's my understanding that they're more vulnerable cuz they have skin rather than scales.

I hope we caught this in time & that the other occupants of the tank don't get it too, but the poor Bala Shark looks pretty miserable.

These two are the same age & are usually the same size, but it's apparent that the sick one is inflamed from this nasty condition. (His eyes even look bulgy!) They're almost right next to each other, so even though the pic would suggest that one looks bigger cuz it's closer, that's not the case.  I'm sorry to report that he's not navigating well at all, & occasionally rolls over in slow motion, then struggles to right himself.  His "respiration" is markedly more rapid than that of the other Bala Shark, as I watch their gills.  Something tells me that he might not make it through the night, if that long. If so, we'll still keep the antibiotic regimen  going, cuz the bacteria will remain in the water until it's killed off.

This is a particularly sad situation, cuz last week at this time, we had three Bala Sharks! Keith inadvertently left the top of the tank open after he fed them one day, & sharks are jumpers....

We're watching....
« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2007, 11:40:15 PM by Patty S »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal