Author Topic: Banana Pepper  (Read 4088 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Banana Pepper
« on: Aug 05, 2007, 11:28:54 AM »
One pepper is ripe it is completely red.  I couldn't pick it when I was down there earlier because I got sick just really fast.  But hopefully tomorrow I will feel better and I can get it then. 

If it has a really sweet flavor then I will definitely put it in a pot this fall and keep it in the apartment.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Re: Banana Pepper
« Reply #1 on: Aug 06, 2007, 06:43:23 AM »
I picked it....

It's a nice firm, fleshy, sweet pepper. 

I'm definitely saving at least one for next year.  That is if I can get a big enough pot.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: Aug 06, 2007, 06:48:23 AM »
Duh, if you cannot get a big enough pot, could you save the seeds from it?
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #3 on: Aug 07, 2007, 02:18:12 PM »
I did they are drying on the counter lol.  Great minds think alike.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #4 on: Aug 30, 2007, 07:16:32 AM »
Can anyone tell me when the banana peppers that are yellow are ripe?  It looks ripe to me but what do I know I've never grown or harvested or even bought these at the store.  Help I'm Clueless!

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #5 on: Aug 30, 2007, 08:06:45 AM »
I would think that if they looked like this, that they would be ripe, Duh...
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #6 on: Aug 31, 2007, 08:02:15 AM »
are they like other peppers and they are easy to detach from the plant when they are ripe?

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #7 on: Sep 30, 2007, 08:23:42 AM »
Well because I wasn't feeling well the peppers stayed on the vine and guess what.  They are turning dark purple.  I never expected that.  I can't wait to see what they look like when they are finally finished coloring up. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #8 on: Oct 04, 2007, 07:35:48 AM »
Well I'm not going to see it this year.  They got zapped last night.  Maybe next year I'll do better.  Whaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2007, 10:02:48 AM »
Well I'm a nut.  You all know that.  I took the one banana pepper that had three peppers on it inside to try and overwinter.  It had 2 leaves left on the entire plant and 3 peppers.  I was sure it was a gonner but, nothing attempted nothing gained right?  So I brought it in and guess what...not only did the peppers ripen but where all the old leaves had fallen off it is growing bunches of new leaves.  I'm thrilled. 

I'm definitely going to make sure I have room in the house to do this next year if I have a yard. 

I wish my computer would work with my new camera I'd take pictures.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2007, 12:21:25 PM »
That is so exciting duh.  I am glad the pepper has recovered for you and doing so well!

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Pharmerphil

« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2007, 03:53:08 PM »
we dug out a christmas pepper plant, It isn't doing so well...laura is about to give up and harvest the peppers...maybe it will sprout new leaves?

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2007, 10:19:17 AM »
When I put mine in a pot I used 100% compost in the pot.  The banana pepper is very happy.  I'm in zone 7a and I have it in an East facing window.  I let it dry out between waterings.  I've fertilized it with miracle plant food once just because the water jug had that in it because I was watering the african violets. 

I think it was about a month before I happened to notice the new leaves so it did take a while.  Before that it looked more like a stick than anything else.  I was sure it was a gonner so I would say have faith.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2007, 10:16:47 AM »
This is incredible.  You know that banana pepper that I brought into the apartment?  Well not only did it produce a bunch of little leaves but now it has 4 tiny baby bloosoms on it.  I couldn't believe it when I say that today. 

I guess it is saying thankyou for being allowed in the house and being potted up in 100% compost.

MassMama

« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2007, 10:28:31 AM »
I think you have to hand polinate them Duh.. Get a little paint brush and spread the pollen around

Great Luck your having with them!!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2007, 08:16:53 PM »
believe it or not I use an eye brow brush that came in a kit I got as a kid.  It works great.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2008, 09:55:57 AM »
I have two baby peppers growing and one has really taken off.  It's funny how fast they will grow at night when I am sleeping.  They really have growth spirts.

I have two more blooms that are currently being polinated so hopefully that will produce at least one more pepper. 

I recently had to give the bush a good spray because I saw spider mites on one of the branches.  I don't want those pesky things making a meal out of my pepper plant.  It's come back so nicely from the stick it was when I brought it in that it really deserves a chance.

MassMama

« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2008, 06:54:09 AM »
 :banana02: :banana02: thats Great to hear Duh.. I am glad they are producing indoors for you.. beings that they are perennial you could put them out in the spring and get a lot more peppers..  :ThumbUp:

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 07, 2008, 10:17:49 AM »
Thats great that they are growing well for you Duh, i cant wait to get started on my seeds!!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2008, 09:27:18 AM »
I have 3 peppers growing now and a bunch of baby buds that haven't opened yet.  It's amazing the difference compost makes. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #20 on: Jan 16, 2008, 10:39:52 AM »
i have 5 blooms that opened.  Three of them have closed I'm hoping that means they got polinated.  And two that I'm still polinating.  I brush them at least once each day.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal