Author Topic: Shade Gardens  (Read 7311 times)

MassMama

Re: Shade Gardens
« Reply #50 on: Sep 09, 2007, 08:36:37 AM »
Hey Rita, I just looked in my little booklet from the University of Georgia and found this.  I don't know if it's any different in our area. 

The best time for dividing outdoor ferns is after the first frost through November.  This gives the transplants plenty of time to regenerate roots. No fertilizer is needed for fall transplants. For propagating Lady Fern and Japanese Painted Fern divide the root stalks, which are the underground stems from which the upright stems grow or use rhizome division.

Ohhh Great Thanks Patti.. I am sure to be busy pretty soon.. I think I am in zone 6a as well Patti does it fluctuates Sp depending on how bad the weather is ? :unsure:
Thanks everyone I love my Ferns  :ThumbUp:

Offline patches

« Reply #51 on: Sep 10, 2007, 04:24:33 AM »
Rita, hardiness zones really have nothing to do with how bad the weather is, except when you're talking about cold.  Hardiness zones are actually based on the 'average annual minimum temperature" in a certain area.  Zone 1 is the coldest with the average minimum temperautes being at minus 50 degrees F and Zone 11 the warmest Zone since the average minimum temperature is above 40 degrees F.  Hardiness zones are listed on plants to show you that a certain plant will survive in those particular zones.

The difference between each zone is separated by 10 degrees and then it's broken down into subzones a and b that are separated by 5 degrees.  Actually, Rita, I think we are very fortunate because Zone 6 is the warmest climate that some cold-loving plants can tolerate, and it's usually the coldest area that mild-climate plants can over-winter in.  I guess we are special!   :Whis:

You've got such beautiful ferns, I can certainly see why you love them.  ;)
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2007, 04:27:19 AM by patches »
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

MassMama

« Reply #52 on: Sep 10, 2007, 06:58:53 AM »
 :Groaner: that is kinda what I was thinking Patti but my brain does not always think what I want it to :Blush: 
I do really like our Zone .. It is soo fulfilling to watch life come back after the winter isn't it ?? :ThumbUp:

Offline patches

« Reply #53 on: Sep 10, 2007, 11:52:50 AM »
Rita, I love our zone, too!  Actually, spring is my favorite time of the year when all the plants and trees are waking up from their long winter's nap!  It always reminds me too how even after all the dark and cold days, everything can be beautuiful again!  Do you know if you were ever in Zone 5 where you live now?  For years and years, we were always Zone 5 and just recently they raised it to Zone 6!   :Yahoo:
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal