Author Topic: Shade Gardens  (Read 7310 times)

Offline patches

Shade Gardens
« on: Aug 10, 2007, 03:50:42 PM »
Well, with this heat wave, I imagine the only things that are still looking good for some of us are in our Shade gardens.  ;)  So, I thought you might like to see my newest addition to my Shade garden. It's my St. Francis statue and I love it.   :smile:

Unfortunately, my Bleeding Heart is absent from the picture because it got zapped by the heat about a week ago.   :crying:
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2007, 03:52:44 PM by patches »
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Re: Shade Gardens
« Reply #1 on: Aug 13, 2007, 05:00:10 AM »
That's a great statue.  How tall is it?

Offline patches

« Reply #2 on: Aug 13, 2007, 12:52:35 PM »
Duh, it's 20" high and just the right size for that spot.  :ThumbUp:  I knew I didn't want anything too big so it would be overwhelming, :yikes: but it needed to be tall enough to stand out.  This turned out to be the perfect size.  ;)
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #3 on: Aug 14, 2007, 05:15:34 AM »
I agree it is the perfect size for that spot. 

Tamara

« Reply #4 on: Aug 30, 2007, 12:35:39 PM »
Oh, very nice. Wonderful statue.

Offline patches

« Reply #5 on: Aug 30, 2007, 12:54:23 PM »
Thanks!!! ;)

This week-end I'm going to start mulching my shade garden next to the house.  :Whis:  I'll gradually work my way over to the other ones.  I'm putting in some Lamb's ear for next year, so I[m excited about that.  :ThumbUp:

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #6 on: Aug 30, 2007, 01:53:39 PM »
Beautiful job!!

Offline patches

« Reply #7 on: Aug 30, 2007, 11:50:24 PM »
Thanks Penny!!!   ;)

Geesh, I sure wish other people would post some pictures of their shade gardens so we can see what they've done.  :Watching: It would also be nice to hear about some of the plants you are using in your shade beds and how they are performing.  Trials and  triumphs are always good learning tools.  ;)  Besides, I think we would all like to get some good ideas  :idea: for next year.  I know I would!!!  :Whis:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #8 on: Aug 31, 2007, 06:19:17 AM »
I love the statue, Patti, and the shade garden! :ThumbUp:

I don't have a shade garden around here, because I don't have any shade yet. ;) When our trees get bigger, hosta will be one of the first plants that I will be buying. I haven't seen a hosta yet, that I didn't like... :grinnnn:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline patches

« Reply #9 on: Sep 01, 2007, 02:36:24 AM »
Dianna, I think hostas are one of my favorite shade garden plants, but I can remember a time when I thought they were pretty boring.  ;)  Of course, now they have so many different varieties and getting more every year, so it's pretty exciting.   :Glee:

When your trees get bigger you'll have plenty of shade, Diannal  :Whis: It seems I have to  keep expanding my shade gardening as my trees get bigger and bigger.  ;)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #10 on: Sep 02, 2007, 07:32:29 AM »
Well my shade garden has hostas, columbines, lilies of the valley, variegated ornamental grass, mints and one bell flower that volunteered to be there.  And it is big but it is growing along the ground rather than upright.  Very, very strange.  But I'm definitely taking it with me when I move.  And my dwarf evergreens.  Atleast the ones I can manage to get out of the ground.  Their tap roots go on forever.

Offline patches

« Reply #11 on: Sep 02, 2007, 08:18:48 PM »
Well, Duh, it sounds like you've got the start of wonderful shade garden there and I don't blame you for wanting to take it with you. :ThumbUp: I notice that you don't have any Astilbes, Bleeding Hearts or ferns in there.  Geesh, those are some of the staples of my shade gardens and I love them.   ;)   
« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2007, 09:08:48 PM by patches »

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #12 on: Sep 02, 2007, 09:07:29 PM »
I only have 2 plants in my shade garden, a hydrangea that Patty gave me and a begonia? I think.  Right now it is pretty weedy though.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline patches

« Reply #13 on: Sep 02, 2007, 09:54:42 PM »
Duh, I forgot to mention Heuchera (Corla Bells) because I have about 7 different varieties.   ;)

Triss, I started out small too, but as my trees have gotten bigger my shade gardening space has expanded.   :Whis:
« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2007, 09:56:13 PM by patches »

Offline Patty S

« Reply #14 on: Sep 02, 2007, 10:13:41 PM »
I'd almost forgotten that I gave you a hydrangea last year, Triss. Did it give you flowers this year? If so, what color were they? Mine didn't give me any last year (I'd moved them in the spring, if you remember, so they had to start all over.)  This year they did awesome!

The big blue one in the background is in the bed on the property line that we share with the neighbor. I had added different amounts of Dolomite to the holes when I split up my big one & moved the pieces to the shade, & I wound up with a variety of pink, purple & blue.

Patti, do you stake yours up or put some sort of a wire cage under them to keep the flowers off the ground? I'm going to have to do something like that next year (but I haven't decided what would be best). This pic was taken in early July, & they got pretty big & heavy as they got bigger. It was impossible to keep some of the flowers from getting wet, cuz many were laying on the ground. :SmileyFit:

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #15 on: Sep 02, 2007, 10:15:56 PM »
No flowers this year, and only one last year but it is a lot bigger than it was.  I am happy with how it is growing and I KNOW it got stepped on at the end of last year when Charlie was "helping" me weed.

Yours sure are pretty!

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline patches

« Reply #16 on: Sep 02, 2007, 10:35:58 PM »
Patti, do you stake yours up or put some sort of a wire cage under them to keep the flowers off the ground?

Actually, Patty, I've never had a Hydrangea plant before but one of my friends bought me one this year.  :Yahoo:  It's 'Forever & Ever' Double Pink Hydrangea and it's only gets 24"-30" high and 36" wide.  It's a new smaller variety and that's great, because I just don't have the room for bigger plants in this yard.  :SmileyFit:

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #17 on: Sep 05, 2007, 07:06:24 PM »
with this drought it's been hard to keep even the shade garden alive.

MassMama

« Reply #18 on: Sep 06, 2007, 07:01:53 AM »
Pretty gardens everyone!!  :ThumbUp:

Most of my gardens are in the shade most of the day..  :rolleyes1: Makes for a LOT of crooked flowers  :laughmao: But most will live in the shade!!  :ThumbUp:
I will try and post a pic later  :grinnnn: If I remember  :SlapSelf:

Tamara

« Reply #19 on: Sep 06, 2007, 07:30:22 AM »
The whole front of my house is a shade garden but the storms we had this year tore it all apart. I'll try find the pics from the early spring to show what it did look like though.

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #20 on: Sep 06, 2007, 10:05:51 AM »
Ooooh thats so pretty Sheri, the hostas look great and its so colorful!!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #21 on: Sep 06, 2007, 10:33:39 AM »
Your right patches I don't have Astilbes, Bleeding Hearts or ferns in my garden.  Most of the bleeding hearts are better off in cooler climates than I have here but maybe if the other plants thrive I'll think about adding one.  Astilbes are more delicate than most of the plants that attract my attention.  I guess I like substantial plants because I'm one substancial woman lol.  As far as ferns are concerned I would like to have some of the japanese painted ferns but so far the most I have ever spent on a plant is 8.99 cents before taxes.  And I'm trying to keep it that way if possible.  But if I ever see a deal on them when I have some extra cash I'm there lol. 

I did try planting some coral bells from seed but nothing came up.  I may try plants if I can get some cheap when I have the cash to spend.  That's 2009 if I'm lucky. 

I lied,  I've spent more for peonies.  They are an obsession. 

Tamara

« Reply #22 on: Sep 06, 2007, 01:22:46 PM »
.  Most of the bleeding hearts are better off in cooler climates than I have here . 

Must be why some of mine are still blooming  :lol:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #23 on: Sep 06, 2007, 05:47:46 PM »
I've read you have had a really bad year this year.  Hopefully that just means next year will be really marvelous for you.

MassMama

« Reply #24 on: Sep 06, 2007, 06:41:08 PM »
*broken link removed*
Are these the painted ferns Duh??  :unsure: I found this fern for 499 at HD it was nearly dead.. not sure what kind it was .. there was no ticket :ScratchHead:
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2008, 12:06:20 AM by barleychown »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal