Author Topic: Today in the garden I...Part 2  (Read 11397 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Today in the garden I...Part 2
« on: Aug 25, 2007, 05:57:00 AM »
It rained again last night so my beds are looking better than they have all year.  Funny right?  The banana peppers are starting to take off and I have several small peppers on each plant.  And the zinnia's may even stop crisping.  The mum and the wheat that I transplanted seems to be happy which is a good thing. 

It's very humid this morning so I think I will by pass turning the compost.  Although it is tempting to get out there and at least do some of it.   Next week it is suppose to be cooler so I'm thinking of holding off until then.
« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2007, 06:15:38 AM by Dianna »

Offline patches

Re: Today in the garden I...
« Reply #1 on: Aug 25, 2007, 02:44:27 PM »
Well, we got some additional rain overnight.  :Glee: I can't say my beds look better than they have all year; but, at least, now they don't look dead!   :Whis:

Since it not too bad outside I put down some more mulch on some of my beds.  I like to add it gradually, instead of all at once.  ;)
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline patches

Re: Today in the garden I...Part 2
« Reply #2 on: Aug 26, 2007, 02:31:06 AM »
We had some great weather today, so I mowed the weeds that started growing again from the rain.   :SmileyFit:  Then I dug up one of my tomato plants that is certaily done for the year.  :Crybaby2:  I also filled the bird feeders and washed the bird baths and got them filled.   :smile:
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Re: Re: Today in the garden I...Part 2
« Reply #3 on: Aug 26, 2007, 07:01:37 AM »
wow you got a lot done.

It rained here last night so I didn't have to water.  Instead I moved about a third of my compost and added some dirt that needs rejuvenation. 

I also got into the poison ivy.  So my hand is all read and swollen.  I've got to find my gardening gloves.  I don't know where I put them.

Offline patches

« Reply #4 on: Aug 26, 2007, 11:13:33 AM »
Well, Duh, I don't know if it was a lot,  :smileyNo: but it was certainly more than I've been doing the past couple of weeks. 

Boy, isn't it great how we can take the lousy clay soil and turn it into wonderful "black gold".  :Wow: I love it!!!

Duh, I'm really sorry to hear about your poison ivy. I hope it's not too bad. :smileyNo:  I always try to avoid that stuff like the plague, because I really got it bad many years ago and it was NOT fun!   :SmileyFit:

Offline patches

« Reply #5 on: Aug 26, 2007, 07:17:46 PM »
We had another beautiful day here to work in the yard.  So I cut all the new runners off the Strawberry plants again.  :Whis: Geesh, if I had as many strawberries as I've had runners I could have made a fortune selling strawberries.  :rofl1: I also weeded around my Honeysuckle and trimmed it back a little.  ;) Then I discovered some strange plant growing on the fence near the Honeysuckle and it had pods.  I don't know  :dunno: what it is because I've never seen anything like it before.   :smileyNo:
« Last Edit: Aug 26, 2007, 07:19:18 PM by patches »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #6 on: Aug 26, 2007, 09:47:20 PM »
We had a cloudy evening after the sunny afternoon. I spent some time hoeing around the gazebo to fight some of the weeds that have taken over. Gotta get ready to lay some mulch down there and want it ready for delivery....
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #7 on: Aug 27, 2007, 05:55:12 AM »
I love your gazebo Dianna.  Patches are you going to put a picture of the plant in mystery plants?

it rained again last night. 

The mum and the two latest petunias have settled in as if they were never planted anywhere else.  So I feel good that I can leave them there without worry.

The banana peppers have put on a burst of growth and are doing great.  I'm very pleased. 

The paparika peppers are still barren except for the one and it has only put out 1 ripe pepper and 1 that is still growing.  They have been very disappointing this year. 

The wheat that I spread isn't looking great today but it is still green.  We'll give it a few days and see if it settles in.

I still have to weed and turn the compost but it's too wet today.  Although I did get a few of the weeds that were right around the ornamental grass.  I need to give that a chance to grow not get choked out by weeds.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #8 on: Aug 27, 2007, 06:06:36 AM »
Woohoo I marked the horseradish, the peonies, and the hostas.  That way I'll know where they are.

Offline patches

« Reply #9 on: Aug 27, 2007, 12:48:00 PM »
Patches are you going to put a picture of the plant in mystery plants?

Yes, Duh, I already did that yesterday.   ;)  It's nothing I planted, :smileyNo: and I'm sure it's probably some kind of weed.  :laughmao:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #10 on: Aug 28, 2007, 08:42:26 AM »
one of my weeds turned out to be a volunteer cleome lol.  Maybe you will be equally lucky.

My garden was still damp so I didn't have to water.  But I did turn about another third of my compost.  It's amazing to see how much finished compost I have in the pile.  If I still had a screen I'll sift it but when I thought I was moving I got rid of my screen. 

Offline patches

« Reply #11 on: Aug 28, 2007, 01:31:51 PM »
Duh, I don't think I will be so lucky as to have it be something I would want.  :smileyNo:  Besides, anything that grows that fast after it rains, surely can't be good!   :Whis:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #12 on: Aug 28, 2007, 07:24:15 PM »
Jim and I pulled up the tomato plants out of the garden today. We took them down to the back fence where we have been putting the grass clippings in the long, low spot. When we mow, we will be able to bush hog that spot so it can be tilled in again...

I potted up the datura that was on the end of one of the tomato rows. It sure is pretty in its' pot! :grinnnn:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #13 on: Aug 29, 2007, 07:33:14 PM »
Today I watered all the outdoor plants again. The poor datura looked like it was wilting from being transplanted... :(

Had to fill up the hummingbird feeders again. I think we have some babies out there. Some of the ones we have seen look smaller than what we have been seeing... :ThumbUp:

Offline patches

« Reply #14 on: Aug 30, 2007, 01:16:15 AM »
Well, all I managed to do today was soak the back beds and one side bed really well.  I also got all the feeders filled, cleaned the bird baths, filled them and put some of my giant ice cubes in them.   :Whis:

Dianna, are you still getting a lot of Hummingbirds?  :dunno: My Hummingbirds don't seem to be emptying the feeders as they much as they used to, so I'm wondering if they are tapering off now.   :ScratchHead:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #15 on: Aug 30, 2007, 06:22:14 AM »
We still have hummingbirds, Patti! While we are in the pool, we can watch them at the feeders. They sometimes zoom overhead. It seems like a hummer airport out there...

The other night while on the porch swing, we noticed a bat skimming low over the pool. I told Jim that he was probably thirsty. Hope the chlorine in the pool didn't hurt him. Bats are my friends as long as they are outside... :D

This afternoon, Jim and I will start mowing again. He did the trim work with the push mower last night. I hope it doesn't rain. If we don't mow soon it will look like a jungle outside...

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #16 on: Aug 30, 2007, 06:45:22 AM »
I love hummers.  I don't have any here.  I don't think the chlorine will hurt him.  The Ducks in my mothers pool never seemed to mind the chlorine. 

Today I turned the rest of the compost.  Now I need to water but I've caught a cold and energy is at zero level.  Hopefully I'll get at least half done this morning and then I can do the other half this evening.

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #17 on: Aug 30, 2007, 08:01:48 AM »
no watering for me today.......mother nature finally helped me out there!!

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: Aug 30, 2007, 10:16:06 AM »
No rain here! I will spend today watering, deadheading, and maybe even pull a few weeds.
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Tamara

« Reply #19 on: Aug 30, 2007, 12:53:37 PM »
Pouring rain here today, almost everyday it seems. Can't do anything out there again.

Offline patches

« Reply #20 on: Aug 30, 2007, 01:18:56 PM »
Geesh, I can't believe all the rain everyone is getting and we can even get a drop.  :smileyNo:  I'm glad you are all getting your gardens watered and saving on your water bill.    ;)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #21 on: Aug 31, 2007, 08:11:34 AM »
I had to water today.  But I can't really complain.  It's been a while since I have had to.

I checked the banana pepper to see if it was ripe but I don't think it is yet.  I like to harvest the seeds so the pepper has to be ripe before I pick it or the seeds won't be anygood.

One of the blackberry lily pods is starting to darken so it won't be too long before I can start harvesting those.

I got out the fall seeds for planting and guess what I found...yellow blackberry lily seeds.  Isn't that cool.  I can't wait to add some of those to the garden.  That is depending on where I end up. 

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #22 on: Aug 31, 2007, 08:18:41 AM »
No rain here today....we got enough the other day.....cut the grass lastnight and watered everything well.

Offline patches

« Reply #23 on: Aug 31, 2007, 02:07:48 PM »
This morning I got the rest of my beds throughly watered and now I'm just trimming up a few things.  ;)  It's a really nice day out so I'm getting a lot done.  :ThumbUp: I think I'm going to take out another tomato plant since it looks like it done for this year.  :smileyNo:  Still NO rain in sight for us!!!   :SmileyFit:

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #24 on: Aug 31, 2007, 02:17:33 PM »
 :razberry: I forgot that somtime this weekend i need to go out and hand pick all the sunflower seeds out of my one bed, i had some pretty sunflowers growing there and the squirrels have shredded them  :smileyNo:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal