Author Topic: What to do, what to do....  (Read 6748 times)

Offline Tonya

What to do, what to do....
« on: Sep 04, 2007, 02:23:39 PM »
I was outside today and decided to get busy clearing out this bed

This was after a bit of cleaning. There was YEARS of old dead leaves, and stuff in there. Along with wild strawberries, blackberry vines, and misc. little tree seedlings.

Here is what I had done while I had the camera out there.

Now the whole thing(up to the massive azalea) looks like that also!  :Glee:

This was before.

Now......what to do with it?? There are already amarylis(sp) and gladiolas in there. I'm thinking tulips and daffodils, and some cone flowers?? What do y'all suggest?

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
Re: What to do, what to do....
« Reply #1 on: Sep 04, 2007, 02:25:55 PM »
Those all sound good Tonya.......what about any little shrubs, somthing that stays small though?

Offline Tonya

« Reply #2 on: Sep 04, 2007, 02:27:06 PM »
I almost forgot to post a pic of my "helper"....ain't she cute??

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #3 on: Sep 04, 2007, 02:27:32 PM »
That sounds nice! All the bulbs are early right? I dont know about amaryllis, they wont overwinter here. I would put something that blooms after the bulbs but before the coneflowers o theres always something blooming. Iris, daisies? I have some purple coneflower seeds if you want some.
« Last Edit: Sep 04, 2007, 02:37:05 PM by Dianna »

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #4 on: Sep 04, 2007, 02:28:16 PM »
 :grinnnn: AWWWWW....what a cute lil helper you have there...........she's even got her own gloves, even if they are bigger then her  :rofl1:  :ThumbUp:

Offline Tonya

« Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2007, 02:30:20 PM »
I would love to have some Wrennie!!  :grinnnn: I will send you an envelope....what do you think postage will be? Well, let me look for a bit- I may want some more!  :Whis:

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #6 on: Sep 04, 2007, 02:31:56 PM »
Wow Wren....you do have a bunch in there....Happy Shopping there Tonya!

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #7 on: Sep 04, 2007, 02:36:03 PM »
Post in there which you want. I dont think i should offer them anywhere else till everyone there has a chance to see cause of where they came from. I'll look in my yard too and see what i can find.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline patches

« Reply #8 on: Sep 04, 2007, 02:40:11 PM »
Looks like you've been busy Tonya, and I love your little helper!   
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #9 on: Sep 04, 2007, 05:10:04 PM »
What a wonderful space.  So many possibilities as well.  I would add a couple of mums as well for fall color.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline Tonya

« Reply #10 on: Sep 04, 2007, 05:11:57 PM »
Great Idea Triss!!! We want to line the walkway with mums in containers, also! :ThumbUp:

Offline Tonya

« Reply #11 on: Sep 04, 2007, 05:18:19 PM »
Here is what I got done today.

I cut the azalea back a LOT!! I know it may be a bit late to be trimming those, but it may be coming out anyway, so......chop, chop!  :rofl1: It feels so good to be out in MY yard doing things!  :Glee: I'll keep you all posted on my progress.....May be slow going until we get some money moving here.  :razberry: That's OK, tho......it will look AWESOME next year!  :ThumbUp: :Yahoo:

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #12 on: Sep 04, 2007, 05:22:13 PM »
Ohhh ya gotta keep the azalea, they are sooooo pretty!  Lychnis would be pretty there also, iris as well.  Will Lily of the Nile grow in your area?  Daylilies?

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #13 on: Sep 04, 2007, 05:27:48 PM »
Don't forget to put a weed barrier down, Tonya, and mulch it heavily. Pulling weeds seem to be most of my gardening nowadays.... >:(

Mack looks so adorable with those huge gloves on her hands! :D

"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

MassMama

« Reply #14 on: Sep 04, 2007, 06:19:05 PM »
Is it all shade Tonya? Through all the pics it looks like it.. Hydranga? Or you could plant hostas in there ??

Offline Tonya

« Reply #15 on: Sep 04, 2007, 08:52:42 PM »
I thought Hosta, also Rita! I have a couple from last year.....One is Hosta Elegans, the other one is escaping me right now, and the third one I think I killed this year. It is a burnt mess right now. It does get mostly shade, so I need to think of more plants that do well in shade. I'm not sure what requirements the ones I listed have. I am thinking a rounded edge for the outside border of the bed Kinda like an uppercase "D" with the straight line against the house. Does that make sense?? I am getting excited planning it! :grinnnn:

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #16 on: Sep 04, 2007, 08:59:20 PM »
Wrennies wisdom of the day: Make it aHUGE.I made a garden here when I first got here. I thought it was super big. We've expanded it 4 times. Once the perrenials fill in you'll wish you made it bigger. AND, the bigger the garden the less grass you have to cut!
I dont mean you have to fill it the first season. Mine has "edge" plants too far in cause we kept moving the edge farther out.

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #17 on: Sep 04, 2007, 09:00:19 PM »
I  love my columbine, bleeding hearts and ferns in the shade area. I dont know which of those will do well in your zone.

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: Sep 04, 2007, 09:02:16 PM »
Might add upright fushias to the list...they come in lots of different colors, just like the basket ones do.
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Tonya

« Reply #19 on: Sep 04, 2007, 09:18:13 PM »
Triss- I'm not sure about Lychnis or Lily of the Nile- I have never heard of them honestly... :Blush:

I love fuschias, Sarah! Do they do well in shady areas? Are they perrenials? (I love Google...can you tell  :rofl1: )

We have Ferns growing in our field.....  :ScratchHead: wonder how they transplant??

Offline patches

« Reply #20 on: Sep 04, 2007, 09:19:54 PM »
Tonya, I couldn't have my shade gardens without my hostas and ferns. :smileyNo:  I think they really add something to it.  :ThumbUp:

Don't forget to put a weed barrier down, 

Do you put weed barrier down in your flower garden beds, Dianna?  :SmileyQmarks:  I quit doing that some years ago, it seemed to cause me more problems than it was worth.   :SmileyFit:
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #21 on: Sep 04, 2007, 09:24:37 PM »
ooh Lychnis!! My friend Tonia from North Carolina ( ??? ) gave me my first seeds for them They're also called Rose Campion. They're COOL! Mine are in full sun. My friend Gerrie has hers in full shade.

Offline Tonya

« Reply #22 on: Sep 04, 2007, 09:29:31 PM »
 :Wow: Can you send me seeds, Wrennie??  Those are stunning!!  :grinnnn: How tall are they?

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #23 on: Sep 04, 2007, 09:33:47 PM »
I have seeds for those ones as well Tonya.  Mine are in full sun but I will be moving some to partial shade since Sarah said they do well there also.  And they make loads and loads of seeds.

Wrennie, what is the yellow flower you have with yours?  Lily of the nice has nice large blue flowers, very pretty.  We had them in CA and Tina sent me some but they have not bloomed for me yet.  Not sure if it is cuz we freeze here or not.

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #24 on: Sep 04, 2007, 09:35:39 PM »

I love fuschias, Sarah! Do they do well in shady areas? Are they perrenials? (I love Google...can you tell  :rofl1: )

They ONLY do well in most to full shade. There are some really pretty ones out there...my favorites are the ones with the tiny flowers. I have several colors now. If you can find some one close to you that has some, they start really easy from cuttings. :ThumbUp:
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal