Author Topic: Fuchsia  (Read 3366 times)

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
Fuchsia
« on: Sep 13, 2007, 08:48:21 PM »
There has been a lot of talk lately about fuchsia's, so I thought I would start them their own thread. :grinnnn:

I really enjoy upright fuchsia's, sometimes called bush fuchsia. For me, they are a perennials.

Right now, my bushes are still young, as they were just planted this year.

Here are a few photos:

Notice the size of the flowers...that is a normal brick. I like the mini flowers best of all! :ThumbUp:

« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2007, 09:26:49 PM by barleychown »
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
Re: Fuchsia
« Reply #1 on: Sep 13, 2007, 10:27:40 PM »
Beautiful plants Sarah.  What do you have to do to them over winter for them to come back strong the next year? Cut them back, mulch, nothing at all?

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline patches

« Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2007, 10:41:28 PM »
Those are absolutely gorgeous, Sarah!  Actually, I kinda like the one with the varigated leaves the best.  How big do the bushes get?  :dunno: I know I can't grow them here, but I was wondering what zone they are hardy in?  :ScratchHead:  My cousin lives in Tennessee, and I thought maybe she could grow them.   :Whis:       
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2007, 10:49:52 PM »

Stolen from this web site: http://www.greergardens.com/TREES%20%26%20SHRUBS_D-G.htm

FUCHSIA — (0°F, USDA Zones 7-11) unless otherwise noted. Grow in fertile, well drained soil, providing a deep winter mulch in colder areas. Keep just moist in winter, but water regularly and fertilize weekly during growing season.

The one with the varigation is my favorite, too.
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline patches

« Reply #4 on: Sep 14, 2007, 12:59:32 AM »
Thanks, Sarah!  I'm sure it will grow where she lives, because I think they are a zone higher than I am.  ;)  Sometimes I wish I lived in a warmer zone, but then I wouldn't be able to grow some of thngs I love that grow here.   :smileyNo:  Actually, I don't think there is a pefect zone.   :ScratchHead:
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #5 on: Sep 14, 2007, 08:53:05 AM »
I agree there is no perfect zone unless you have a huge greenhouse that you can partition with seperate climate controls.  But I didn't win the lottery so no can do here lol. 

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #6 on: Sep 14, 2007, 09:21:23 AM »
Very pretty Sarah.,,,now one question, i have been planting what i call Fuschia's in my pots, they are the ones that you can buy at any garden centre in the little pots, are those the same thing as what you have?
I dont know if i can get you a pic, we've had some nights with frost here, and whats left of my annuals have taken a beating!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal