Author Topic: Pork Buns  (Read 3345 times)

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
Pork Buns
« on: Sep 14, 2007, 03:35:08 PM »
Ingredients:
6 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup white sugar
1 3/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 tablespoons shortening
1 pound finely chopped pork
1 1/2 tablespoon light soy sauce
1 1/2 tablespoon hoisin sauce
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 1/2 tablespoon white sugar
1 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
1 1/2 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 cup water
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 1/2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons shortening
1 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper

Dissolve 1/4 cup sugar in 1 3/4 cups warm water, and then add the yeast. Let stand for 10 minutes, or until mixture is frothy. Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Stir in 2 tablespoons shortening and the yeast mixture; mix well. Knead the dough until smooth and elastic. Place the dough in a greased bowl, and cover it with a sheet of cling wrap. Let the dough rise in a warm place for about 2 hours, or until it has tripled in bulk. Cut the pork into 2 inch thick strips. Use fork to prick it all over. Marinate for 5 hours in a mixture made with 1 1/2 tablespoons light soy sauce, 1 1/2 tablespoons hoisin sauce, and 1 teaspoon sweet soy sauce. Grill the pork until cooked and charred. Cut roasted port into 1/2 inch cubes. Combine 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar, 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce, oyster sauce, and 1 cup water in a saucepan. Bring to the boil. Mix cornstarch with 2 1/2 tablespoons water; add to the saucepan, and stir until thickened. Mix in 2 tablespoons lard or shortening, sesame oil, and white pepper. Cool, and mix in the roasted pork. Remove the dough from the bowl, and knead it on a lightly floured surface until it is smooth and elastic. Roll the dough into a long roll, and divide it into 24 pieces. Flatten each piece with the palm of the hand to form a thin circle. The center of the circle should be thicker than the edge. Place one portion of the pork filling in the center of each dough circle. Wrap the dough to enclose the filling. Pinch edges to form the bun. Let the buns stand for 10 minutes. Steam buns for 12 minutes. Serve.

For me, I start out marinating the pork.  Then make the dough and then cook the pork, cut it and do the sauce.  The order of the directions are a lil off.

« Last Edit: Sep 21, 2007, 12:40:36 PM by Triss »

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

MassMama

Re: Pork Buns
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2007, 07:33:39 AM »
 :Wow: this sounds good!! for sure one of those meals you need a while to make but it sure sounds good thanks Triss!

Offline Tonya

« Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2007, 08:50:29 AM »
That does sound good Triss. :ThumbUp: Not sure I would do with the whole dough thing, but I may have to give it a try! Thanks for sharing!!

Tamara

« Reply #3 on: Sep 15, 2007, 12:19:35 PM »
Sounds very yummy Triss, I must give this one a try when I am making my sweet buns.

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2007, 12:46:13 PM »
The thought of steamed bread still sounds odd to me. What is the consistency of it when done? Kinda like a dumpling? I've had them steamed from the Chinese food places.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Tamara

« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2007, 05:52:33 PM »
Hmmm, nope..more of like a wet bagel. Hard to explain.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #6 on: Sep 15, 2007, 07:35:30 PM »
Yes, the inside bread part is cooked, it is just smooth and a lil sticky.  They are just yummy.  I have some leftovers in the fridge, maybe a pic is needed?

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #7 on: Sep 21, 2007, 12:39:55 PM »
I finally got a pic and added it to the top.  Just so you can see what they look like.

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #8 on: Sep 21, 2007, 12:45:01 PM »
Wow Triss........those do sound really really yummy, and easy enough to make.

Thanks!

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #9 on: Sep 21, 2007, 12:48:06 PM »
Do you think you could make that meat mixture and serve it in a wrap? Ya know that really thin bread, stuff, thing. I would think a pita is too heavy, maybe a tortilla?

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #10 on: Sep 21, 2007, 01:26:08 PM »
You probably could, it is pretty sweet stuff though.  I imagine in a wrap you could add some things to make it yummy as well.

Offline patches

« Reply #11 on: Oct 13, 2007, 02:03:47 PM »
Triss, the pork mixture sounds yummy, and I would really like to try using it on the sweet buns I get at the bakery shop.  :idea: Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like making the dough for the pork buns would be worth my while for just me,  :smileyNo: unless I was having a big party or taking it someplace where there were a lot of people.  ;)     
« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2007, 02:05:57 PM by patches »
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #12 on: Oct 13, 2007, 05:15:41 PM »
You could make them and freeze the uncooked ones that you do not want to use for another time Patti.  When you want them, defrost and then steam.

Offline patches

« Reply #13 on: Oct 14, 2007, 12:25:48 AM »
Thanks for telling me that, Triss!   :NewHug: I really wasn't sure how well the dough would freeze.   :dunno:
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #14 on: Oct 14, 2007, 03:55:09 PM »
Dough actually freezes very well but be sure and freeze it before a 2nd rise and then let the 2nd rise happen after you unfreeze them.  And do not microwave or anything to thaw them out.

It also works well for breads in general.  If you enjoy fresh bread, most recipes will make 2 loaves and that is typically too much for one person, you can 1/4 the recipe, freeze 3 parts before the 2nd rise, and cook one part in a smaller mini loaf pan.  You get the fresh bread and not waste the recipe.
« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2007, 03:56:46 PM by Triss »

Offline patches

« Reply #15 on: Oct 14, 2007, 03:58:24 PM »
Okay, Triss, thanks!  ;)  I guess it's kinda like when you buy the frozen bread that you bake.  :Whis:

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #16 on: Oct 14, 2007, 04:05:13 PM »
Yep, same thing, just making the loaves smaller so that it does not go bad if it is only you eating it.  Of course the bread can be frozen after it is baked but then you do not have that fresh bread feel and smell when you do decide to eat it.

Offline patches

« Reply #17 on: Oct 14, 2007, 11:37:17 PM »
Triss, I was already thinking about cutting the recipe in half because it would take me forever to eat 24 of the pork buns,  :yikes: but I could probably manage to consume half of them in a few weeks.  No, I wouldn't want to freeze the bread after it is baked.  I love the feel, smell and taste of fresh baked bread.  :Yahoo:

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #18 on: Oct 15, 2007, 05:10:38 PM »
Well let me know if you try them and how you like them.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal