Author Topic: So do you Sew 2  (Read 14750 times)

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
Re: So do you Sew 2
« Reply #25 on: Sep 19, 2007, 04:41:51 PM »
That is so great Rita.  It is perfect for the quilt and I can also imagine many other uses for it.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #26 on: Sep 21, 2007, 01:16:12 PM »
I finished both of my jean quilts with a little help.  Charlie kept laying on the folding table and when I turned the machine on and it would wiggle the table he would laugh.

The first one is not as nice as the second one with the fraying part.  I guess the "flannel" really wasn't but the kids still think it is cool.  I love how the 2nd one turned out!

I am cutting the jeans out now for a large one for Dan.  Using 8 inch squares.  Also keeping the smaller pieces for the next kids quilt. 

Had an idea and wanted to know what you all thought of it.  Instead of sewing the seams to make all of the edges on one side, if I laid one over top of the other so half of the seam is on one side and the other half was on the other.  Then there would be fraying on both sides and I am thinking it would make the piecing of different shapes easier.  How do you think it would hold up?

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #27 on: Sep 21, 2007, 01:17:13 PM »
Looks great Triss and what a cute little helper you have there!!

MassMama

« Reply #28 on: Sep 21, 2007, 01:19:51 PM »
 :ScratchHead: I think it would make it less snuggly one the flanel side triss!

They both look great !! Good job!  :ThumbUp:

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #29 on: Sep 21, 2007, 01:22:45 PM »
The one I did with the fraying on the "flannel" side is really not that bad.  Stiff comfy to be under.  And the one my mom made me is frayed on the flannel side as well and still ok as well.  It was just such a pain to piece together the different sized pieces on the first one, the 2nd one went soooo much faster.

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #30 on: Sep 21, 2007, 01:25:28 PM »
You could make a sample square of maybe 4 blocks and see how it holds together, and how it frays after washing.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #31 on: Sep 21, 2007, 01:26:59 PM »
Well now that is a good idea.  :SlapSelf:  See I need you all to think for me cuz I never even though about that one.

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #32 on: Sep 21, 2007, 01:55:41 PM »
I bet thats gonna look great Triss!!!

Just hope you dont run out of pants!!!

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #33 on: Sep 21, 2007, 03:00:26 PM »
We could do a pants drive for Triss.  Everyone mail their holey pants to her.  :laughpound:

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #34 on: Sep 21, 2007, 03:02:18 PM »
I will run out and will have to hit the thrift stores.  I could have sworn I had a HUGE box of old and already cut up jeans, but I cannot find it anywhere.  I am so disappointed in that cuz it was a ton of them.

I jean drive is a good idea!  Will trade jeans for quilts!

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #35 on: Sep 21, 2007, 03:11:53 PM »
Right before Rita started hers I had just thrown out a pair of old Jeans, sat around forever, no use for them. Now everyone wants them.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #36 on: Sep 21, 2007, 03:19:13 PM »
Funny how that works, isn't it Wrennie.  I have been saving jeans since my mom sent me mine and now I just have to remember where they all are.

MassMama

« Reply #37 on: Sep 21, 2007, 03:32:29 PM »
Call a small thrift store Triss and ask them if they toss out the holy ones and if they do ask if you can have them...  :ThumbUp:

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #38 on: Sep 21, 2007, 03:41:01 PM »
Thats a good idea Rita. Check yard sales too, even if they arent selling clothes they may have some theyre willing to sell you. My friend did a yard sale once and someone asked her if she had any vases. She hadnt planned on putting them in, but went inside and got a couple & sold them.

MassMama

« Reply #39 on: Sep 21, 2007, 03:58:31 PM »
 :ThumbUp: Yep ... Most are thrilled to not have to throw them away if you could use them.. You could also post on freecycle or something like that too Triss!  :ThumbUp:

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #40 on: Sep 21, 2007, 04:20:53 PM »
My friend works in the janitorial dept of our schools. End of the year they clean out the gym, lockers, lost & found and throw away trash bags full of clothes.GOOD clothes. Ask the schools.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #41 on: Sep 21, 2007, 08:13:41 PM »
Our local elementary school gives their lost and found away on a first come first served basis, after widely advertising so people can check for lost items. Not mant pants though. Mostly sweaters and jackets.  Ted lost a jacket at school this week. I take him to/from so I know it ended up in someone else's backpack.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #42 on: Sep 21, 2007, 09:33:58 PM »
I will call the thrift store and salvation army next week.  Good ideas there.  I did add another pair to the pile though.  Lys managed to enlarge the small hole in hers to one that is too big for me to like her wearing so into my pile it went.   I know Patrick has a pair that he thinks are really cool but that I am ready to be seen gone as well. 

Dan told me when he saw the 2nd one, "boy that looks nice, I hope you do not get tired of doing these."  That sure made me feel good.  This weekend I am going to work on the afghan though.  Once I run out of yarn again, I will sew for a while.

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #43 on: Sep 22, 2007, 08:25:16 AM »

Dan told me when he saw the 2nd one, "boy that looks nice, I hope you do not get tired of doing these."  That sure made me feel good. 
That is so nice! Would have made me feel good too. So is Piper getting one?

MassMama

« Reply #44 on: Sep 22, 2007, 08:31:33 AM »
That is nice!! Keith likes them as well .. I like making them too I have 3 rows on my 2nd one left then it is the snippers for me  :SlapSelf: the only part I don't like :laughpound:

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #45 on: Sep 23, 2007, 02:09:50 PM »
Hey, one for Piper is a good idea.  I put the two I made on the couch to see when the kids would see them and claim them.  When I got up in the morning, Lys was laying on one and covered up with the other.

Dan said the kids were playing twister on it first thing in the morning so I am going to make them a twister quilt with all kinds of different colored squares.  Dan also asked if I could make them a large checkerboard one as well.  So I have some projects in the wings and games to make for the kids that will also serve as nice blankets.

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #46 on: Sep 23, 2007, 02:14:12 PM »
Are you going to make fabric checkers too? You could put velcro on them for when they need to be 'kinged'. I wonder how much it would cost to mail jeans? Probably as much for postage as it would cost to buy them at a thrift store.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #47 on: Sep 23, 2007, 02:25:32 PM »
I have no idea but I cannot imagine you can stuff a whole lot of them in a flat rate.  Probably not worth the whole effort of it all.  I was thinking they could flip the pieces over for kinging.  Different colors of jean (black and blue) and different flannels would work.

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #48 on: Sep 23, 2007, 02:29:37 PM »
I've bought colored denim at fabric stores. I have a couple of books covered in purple denin, and purple and black checkered denim. You could even take whatever you have from scraps and use rit dye too.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #49 on: Sep 23, 2007, 03:45:19 PM »
That would work.  I know that Lys would love a more girly colored blanket for herself.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal