Author Topic: so do you Sew ~7~  (Read 14926 times)

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
Re: so do you Sew ~7~
« Reply #50 on: Feb 14, 2008, 01:35:45 PM »
WOW Wrennie, that is a TON of material.  How fun is that!  How about realistic cats on one side and cartoon cats on the other?

Thanks for the comments on my quilt.  I am planning on putting a dark purple border on it and maybe a lighter purple or bright pink for the back.

What I do not know how to do is the actual quilting part.  What kind of filling to use, do I put all three layers together or just the top and filling or should I send it out for someone to quilt it for me... lots of questions and I have not even started looking for the answers.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #51 on: Feb 14, 2008, 01:40:26 PM »
You would put top, batting, and bottom all together and quilt through all 3 layers. Cotton batting can shrink after you have it all together which is ok but will give it a bumpier look. Polyester wont shrink, so the finished piece will lay flatter. Poly also comes in all different thicknesses. Darn, I had a page on battings too. Did I give it away? Tells you all about it.....

Here is a site that tells you
which bating to choose

oooh i have to bookmark that whole site. lots of good info!
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2008, 01:43:32 PM by Wrennie »

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #52 on: Feb 14, 2008, 01:42:27 PM »
I know I want it nice and thick as this will be her main blanket on her bed and that it wash well without falling apart and the batting becoming chunks of stuff in the middle.

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #53 on: Feb 14, 2008, 02:09:12 PM »

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

christy

« Reply #54 on: Feb 14, 2008, 02:29:37 PM »
triss remember to wash everything before you quilt it, thats the top,batting n bottom.  that way nothing shrinks after you quilt n ya dont rip your hair out.  :ThumbUp:
you could send it out for someone to quilt it for you, im not sure but i think its expencive?
if you do it yourself put all 3 layers together n start from the middle n work your way out. 
lots of people just sew x's on/through each layerd block cause its fast, n some like to sew designs on it.

good site wrennie i put it in my favs  :ThumbUp:
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2008, 02:36:35 PM by christy »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #55 on: Feb 14, 2008, 10:01:34 PM »
Jim bought me a new book for Valentine's Day. The title is "The Complete Guide to Sewing Made Easy". :grinnnn: I told him that "Sewing For Dummies" would probably have worked better.  :wink5:

The only thing I have accomplished, so far, with the machine, is to get it threaded. Hopefully, after Chris and Ashley's wedding, I will be able to start teaching myself how to sew...
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #56 on: Feb 14, 2008, 11:20:25 PM »
Keep that book handy, Dianna. Even the experts revert back to the books when stumped.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

christy

« Reply #57 on: Feb 15, 2008, 12:00:56 AM »
 :clap:  good job jim!  cant wait to see what ya do dianna  :ThumbUp:  till you get to start you can think bout whatcha wanna do, like what pattern, n if ya wanna buy meterial or go with scraps, for a quilt. n what kinda dress your gonna do for bonnie.   :ThumbUp:

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #58 on: Feb 15, 2008, 01:13:29 PM »
I have a big Singers Guide to Sewing (or something like that) That I'm always looking in to refresh my memory.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #59 on: Feb 15, 2008, 04:36:21 PM »
I have a Singer book as well.  It has helped me so much so far.  I think I will be able to go out tomorrow and look for material.  Then next week I can get working on the quilt again.

christy

« Reply #60 on: Feb 15, 2008, 09:18:21 PM »
i got a 45mm rotary cutter n bord,  :shock: i cut through my template. lotta power in a lil tool  :laughmao: im gonna have to find a hard ruler to guid my cutting with it.

MassMama

« Reply #61 on: Feb 15, 2008, 09:20:28 PM »
 :clap: and  :rofl1: I did the same thing Christy.. thats why I got the Jig saw and some thick plactic!! Cool little thing huh!!  :ThumbUp:

christy

« Reply #62 on: Feb 15, 2008, 09:33:48 PM »
 :laughmao:  :ThumbUp:  i can see why! someone could loose a finger with one  :SmileyFear: n yep is cool as all getup  :ThumbUp:

MassMama

« Reply #63 on: Feb 15, 2008, 09:37:24 PM »
 :SmileyNailbiting:  :critic: don't drink and cut out material it could be hazardous to your fingers ...  :Whis:   :rofl1:
I love mine it has worked out well for me .. I can't say how much time it has saved me!! I am glad you finally got one you will love it when you get used to it!!  :ThumbUp:

christy

« Reply #64 on: Feb 15, 2008, 11:54:41 PM »
 :grinnnn:  im hopin my kids wont know what it is n take off with it like they do my sissors  :Whis:   
 :SmileyFear:   its a very good thing i dont drink  :laughmao:  im messed up as it is, sibs says technolagee n me dont mix  :giggle: she has a point, i just say im old fashion   :Whis:  it sounds better  :laughmao:

christy

« Reply #65 on: Feb 21, 2008, 03:42:30 PM »
heres the 4 crazy blocks n the patchwork quilt i did last weekend, i have more blocks to add to the quilt.i think it needs to be a bit wider.

« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2008, 04:11:47 PM by Dianna »

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #66 on: Feb 21, 2008, 03:48:00 PM »
Very nice Christy! Those crazy quilt blocks look like alot of sewing time.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #67 on: Feb 21, 2008, 10:14:19 PM »
That crazy blocks one is so cool!  Lots of work I bet but so darn cool!

christy

« Reply #68 on: Feb 21, 2008, 10:42:47 PM »
the crazy blocks are sooooo easy to do. not near as hard as the look.  tou just put a pice of fabric in the middle n add on around it n so on n so on. ill take pics next time so you can see.  :ThumbUp:

k heres the wings i did for fun,  somday i wanna do a mask one for sibs,  she loves the movie labreth with david bowie, n loves the ball seen
i used the washable markers to draw it, then went over it with the mechine, i need lots of practice n to bast it on next time  :giggle:

i used pink thread on top n black in the bobber,
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2008, 04:12:34 PM by Dianna »

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #69 on: Feb 21, 2008, 10:45:16 PM »
That turned out really good.  I bet they will just get better as you do more and more.

Offline Tonya

« Reply #70 on: Feb 22, 2008, 07:29:52 AM »
They all look so cool, Christy!! My fave is the crazy one- so darn cool!! I think you did a great job!!! :clap:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #71 on: Feb 22, 2008, 08:03:58 AM »
Christy, are you sewing all of your quilts by machine now or are you still doing them by hand? You sure have been getting a lot of them done!

Those wings are cute... :)
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

christy

« Reply #72 on: Feb 22, 2008, 09:41:31 AM »
  :grinnnn:  thanks, the wings arnt done, i ran out of pink thread, i plan todo more crazy blocks too.
 ive been using the mechine for all of them. their all like practice projects for using the mechine.  n seein what i get a feel for.
like the face was 2in blocks,,the basketweve was 4in blocks n the patwork is 8in blocks,, then the crazy blocks n applique wings.

it woulda tookin me months to do em by hand, but with the blocks i woulda did a better job.  i like the mechine better for crazy blocks,

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #73 on: Feb 25, 2008, 04:37:33 PM »
I finally got enough blue jean material to make Dan's jean/flannel throw.  I laid out all of the pieces today and here is the pattern for the flannel side.  I forgot to take a pic of the jean side before I pinned it and put it away for the afternoon.  I am planning on starting the sewing tomorrow.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #74 on: Feb 25, 2008, 06:55:59 PM »
And here are the new fabrics I picked up today.

These are the blues that I want to test out for the snowflake/star quilt design of Christy's.  I included the pattern along with it.  If I like how the first block turns out, I will pick up more.

These are the fabrics and pattern for the dresses I would like to attempt for Alyssa.

And finally the material for the edge and backing of Lys' quilt.  I think it looks nice with the rest of the quilt top.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal