Author Topic: Learning to Quilt 2  (Read 14204 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Re: Learning to Quilt 2
« Reply #50 on: Feb 12, 2010, 07:52:52 AM »
Cross your fingers.

These are the Geisha Panels that I would like to get and applique.  I know they are just outlines but I've seen some of the finished quilts using these and they are gorgeous.

« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2010, 07:59:28 AM by duh »

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #51 on: Feb 12, 2010, 08:00:12 AM »
I can't believe it I finally got it uploaded.  It took like 5 tires on tinypics and then another 3 tries on here.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #52 on: Feb 12, 2010, 10:44:28 AM »
That's so weird.  Year ago, even before my 2nd child was born who is now 30, I cross stitched those very same prints.  I framed them myself and had them hanging in my house for a long time!!!

So it isn't a class?  How are you learning then?

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #53 on: Feb 12, 2010, 11:52:41 AM »
Well I usually go early, just because that's how I am.  And when the chairman arrives we get into a discussion while we are setting up.  She knows there are two learners in the club and she sets up lessons that keep us in mind.  Those who know teach those that don't know.

So far Betty has taught the bowtie lesson
Carol taught the rottary cutter lesson - I need a remedial class on that.
And when I brought my block with the flight of geese on it with the seam allowance problem, Carol asked Kathy who has taught many classes and does paper piecing to show me what I was doing wrong while the other ladies stuffed their teddybears.

I know Carol plans to have someone in to teach us about colors and how to select them.  I'm looking forward to that.  There is alot more to it than I had imagined.

For the ouch pouches we all kind of huddled together with the donated fabric and pounded out our ideas until we can come to an agreement.  That's probably why I go so lost on that one.  It takes me forever to process information if it isn't presented perfectly the first time.  Of course me getting lost is a planned for event with most things.

They also help us pick the right books to check out for different subjects that are of interest.

Last meeting we went in a circle and each talked about where we were with our projects.  And discussed any problems we were having which is how I got help.

It helps that when we first got started the ladies brought in their quilts and introduced themselves as to what they liked to do and if they had any experience with teaching quilting topics.  They also brought in some of their quilts and blocks.

I think it is crazy funny that you have done those geisha panels.  I've seen the dolls but they were always so expensive.  And then keeping the little glass boxes they are displayed in clean just wasn't my thing lol.  As wallhangings I can either throw them in the wash or dryclean them depending on the material I choose.
« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2010, 11:59:04 AM by duh »

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #54 on: Feb 12, 2010, 12:09:00 PM »
Those panels are beautiful!

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #55 on: Feb 12, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »
I couldn't learn to quilt that way Tammy.  By the time I got home I would forget everything they had said and I'm not good at looking at pictures with directions written on them or notes.  I need someone to show me and watch me do it.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #56 on: Feb 12, 2010, 12:38:12 PM »
We took our machines with us and completed the blocks.  Everything is very hands on.  I take notes because I need all the help I can get lol. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #57 on: Feb 12, 2010, 12:47:39 PM »
I lost the post with my pictures in it.  Grrrrrh.

Ok second try.

4 diamond block - paper pieced - diamond cut on the bias

Birds in Flight Block - paper pieced - this is where Kathy had to show me how to pin the triangles together.

Cobblestone Block - pieced - this is lovely to do.  Very, very easy.

3 Butterflies Block - applique - I'm liking the fusable webbing for holding the butterflies in place while I embroider it.  But I'm looking forward to having a small embroidery hoop.  That 12" sucker is a bear to work with.

And these are the blocks that I've make so far.  I have 4 of the bowties one for each corner.

You can see that it is very dark.  That's because I didn't know about the light dark thing that I needed to do.  I also didn't know about the different sized patterns and how they could look chaotic if not done correctly.  Needless to say there is a bunch to learn.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #58 on: Feb 12, 2010, 01:01:52 PM »
Very nice work Tammy.  It is so nice to be able to see what you are doing!

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #59 on: Feb 12, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »
looks good to me.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #60 on: Feb 12, 2010, 01:57:26 PM »
I wish I could get good pictures.  But I can't afford an expensive camera.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #61 on: Feb 12, 2010, 05:46:11 PM »
do you have a close up option on yours?  If you don't, back up with the camera a little.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #62 on: Feb 13, 2010, 07:34:57 AM »
I don't think so.  I'll try backing up.  The large butterfly is just about halfway done. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #63 on: Feb 13, 2010, 12:12:36 PM »
Here is the machine stitched heart applique.

backing up didn't seem to help the picture quality.  Maybe I'll try backing up another step next time.

The next quilt block should be reversed applique.  It looks hard.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #64 on: Feb 13, 2010, 04:39:16 PM »
that looks pretty.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #65 on: Feb 13, 2010, 05:35:56 PM »
I was so suprised at how fast it went.  I really liked that part.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #66 on: Feb 13, 2010, 08:29:57 PM »
Happy Valentines :hi:  beautiful.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #67 on: Feb 14, 2010, 12:12:47 PM »
I found the directions for doing the geisha panels.  Woohoo.  I actually got two sets of directions.  One for fabric painting the panels and one for appliquing them.  I'm so pysched.  I can't wait to finish the learners quilt so I can go on to doing the geisha.  I'm going to use one geisha for each window in my craft room.  This is so great.  Woohoo.  I haven't lost my mind have I? 

I think I'm catching the quilting bug.

Did you know that most quilters also enjoy gardening.  Who knew that when I looked up how to care for basil this would be a part of the results.  I spent like 4 hours on the quilting forum this morning.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #68 on: Feb 14, 2010, 02:53:46 PM »
Well the next lesson is reverse applique.  It looks like a real hard sucker.  I've never been any good at turning under little pieces of fabric.  Not good at snipping them either.  But since this is another hand sewing technique I'm going to finish my butterflies before I go on to the rose I want to do for the reverse applique.  I may regret my choice.  It looks like a lot of little tiny pieces to cut out, snip and blind stitch.  Wish me luck.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #69 on: Feb 14, 2010, 03:35:08 PM »
Good luck, Tammy. You are a better person than I. If it means a needle and thread I don't want to do it at all.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #70 on: Feb 14, 2010, 05:16:53 PM »
Actually I like needlework.  It's getting all those frayed edges to behave that gets to me.  They keep getting loose and running all over the place.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #71 on: Feb 16, 2010, 03:06:13 PM »
I dumped the reverse applique block.  I may comeback and learn that technique later but for now it's on the shelf.  The one I want to do is in colors that won't match what I'm working on and I can't see a way to work around that.  So I've decided on trying my hand at a stained glass window block using the "negative space" technique.  Then doing another of them using the fusible binding.  So I have more stuff to pick up at the quilt shop when I go there.  Isn't that aways the way?

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #72 on: Feb 16, 2010, 03:47:46 PM »
Ok, I found the inspiration for the stained glass owl.  I made it a folder.  I traced the outline and then did it again and cut that one into templates and wrote the cutting directions on each piece and cut them out.  Tomorrow I'll choose the material and cut it.  That may be alittle chancy.  Some of the templates are thumb sized.  Good place to use the scraps though.  Evidently they multiply. 

So now I'm off to make lunch.  (I know 4 o'clock in the afternoon and I'm just getting around to lunch.)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #73 on: Feb 17, 2010, 08:40:25 AM »
I finished a third of the last butterfly for the hand appliqued block.  Wow is that taking a long time.  But I just can't sit down and work for hours anymore.  I stiffen up something awful. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #74 on: Feb 17, 2010, 03:18:28 PM »
lets see if i can do this:

in the upper righthand corner of this window is the fabric I want for my first Geisha.  She is the one with the unbrella.  Anyone have any ideas what background I should use?

Well maybe you can cut and paste and see if that way?  Let me know if that doesn't work and I'll try something else.
« Last Edit: Feb 17, 2010, 03:22:22 PM by duh »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal