Author Topic: Learning to Quilt 2  (Read 14202 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy

Jessica

Re: Learning to Quilt 2
« Reply #76 on: Feb 17, 2010, 04:04:51 PM »
I can't see anything, Tammy.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #77 on: Feb 17, 2010, 04:47:26 PM »
If it is the black on white I see then you need rich colors as a background and a back drop. Reds, blues, greens for background and accent colors
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #78 on: Feb 17, 2010, 04:50:59 PM »
here it is I hope:  [im so bad at this]

Now I need a background fabric, colors for the trim on the kimono which is a boarder around the edge of the kimono, and a fabric for the undergarment that shows at the bottom, and colors for the parasol.  

I'm just not good with color and textures.  I end up with stuff that makes it too busy.
« Last Edit: Feb 17, 2010, 04:53:43 PM by duh »

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #79 on: Feb 18, 2010, 09:10:39 AM »
here are the materials I have choosen:

This is the background material I've choosen

This is the Kimono Border

This is the first undercoat

This is the second undercoat

This is the parasol.  I'm alittle worried about this one.  What do you think?

This is the Kimono.

And I'm thinking I'll couch some gold cording and add some free floating beads for her hair ornament.

And maybe 4 strands of embroidery floss for her hair done in parallel rows of running stitch. 

What do you think?

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #80 on: Feb 18, 2010, 09:26:57 AM »
I keep having to go back to the other page to look at the pictures.  I like the parasol material and I like the idea of beads in their hair.  I'm not sure what you mean about the 4 strands of embroidery floss for her hair.  Will 4 strands be enough?

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #81 on: Feb 18, 2010, 12:08:18 PM »
4 strands together to embroider with.  Does that explain it better? 

Do you think the design is to busy?  Do you think the background with bring out the bamboo in the tiger design or overwhelm the entire geisha?   Do you think the border will enhance the kimono or will it look to busy?  I so want this to turn out.  And my fabric choices for the learners quilt are a disaster. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #82 on: Feb 18, 2010, 01:59:08 PM »
I forgot to post the butterfly picture which is finished.  Hope it isn't as bad as the rest of them I've taken.

There is the completed Butterfly.

And I've just choosen the fabrics for the owl.  It won't be great because I don't have the right kinds of materials here.  But it will have to do.  Once you start down a road on quilting it seems like you are stuck until the project is completed unless you want to dump the whole thing or keep a UFO hanging around.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #83 on: Feb 18, 2010, 02:19:38 PM »
That is beautiful, Tammy. I just never got into the needle and thread thing.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #84 on: Feb 18, 2010, 02:28:47 PM »
Thanks Tina.  I got into it as a kid and then again years ago.  Now it looks like I might do it as a part of the quilts I make.  I would like to add some work that is purely mine on the quilts.  That doesn't make sense I know but then, that's me.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #85 on: Feb 18, 2010, 02:34:05 PM »
No, It makes perfect sense. Embellishing has been going on for years to put a little touch of just yourself into a project. I do the same with other things just not with a needle and thread if I can help it.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #86 on: Feb 19, 2010, 08:09:55 AM »
Ok after reading a number of color articles I've decided that I need to get rid of the green background.  It is to bright and moves the black kimono towards the back of the picture.  I need a dull color for the background so the kimono will come to the foreground.  I'm thinking a grey on grey asian landscape fabric if I can find one.  Wish me luck.  I'm also doing away with that parasol fabric.  It's to different from the rest of the fabrics.  I'm thinking of something that gives the appearance of being opaque with a boarder that matches one of the undercoats. 

I didn't know that picking the fabrics was such a big part of quilting.  But it does explain why the same quilt done with different materials can look sooooooooo different.

I'll do another design wall when I pick some new fabrics.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #87 on: Feb 19, 2010, 08:18:16 AM »
Tam, where are you buying your fabrics?  Can you take your pictures there and ask a person working to help you - sometimes another eye is a good thing.

I like the look of the parasol fabric but I understand what you mean if it's so different from the rest.  I don't know what it's called but I can envision a fabric that has a design but you can see through it for the parasol.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #88 on: Feb 19, 2010, 11:44:28 AM »
Exactly something that looks like the real oiled rice paper material that is used in asian parasols.  That a woman would carry to coordinate with her kimono.  I can't find a match to save me.  I'm shopping on-line so no I can't carry it to the store.  Although i will carry it with me on tuesday when we go to the quilt shop.  Either one of the ladys that work there or one of the ladies from the quilt group will probably be able to steer me where I need to go.  At least that's the hope.

Now here is the next learner's quilt block.  I haven't sewn it down yet but it is all pinned.  I'm loving it.

Isn't he just gorgeous?  He looks like a little super hero owl.
« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2010, 11:46:17 AM by duh »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #89 on: Feb 19, 2010, 12:01:56 PM »
Sheri will love that one. He is an American Owl. Very patriotic... :grinnnn:

I love it, too... :good2:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Jessica

« Reply #90 on: Feb 19, 2010, 12:03:09 PM »
Looks great, Tammy!

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #91 on: Feb 19, 2010, 12:42:18 PM »
You're right Dianna.  I just about jumped out of my chair when I saw it.  I love the red, white and blue.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #92 on: Feb 19, 2010, 01:02:57 PM »
That is very pretty, Tammy. I hope the sewing part goes smoothly for you.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #93 on: Feb 19, 2010, 02:03:45 PM »
Love all of the colors of your panel except the parasol one.  I think the idea of something rice paperish is more on track.  Some kind of muslin maybe?  I think that is the type of material I am thinking may work.

The butterflies turned out awesome and I love the owl!

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #94 on: Feb 19, 2010, 06:19:27 PM »
They have something called a double gauze that I'm going to try and get a piece of to see what it looks like in person.  I can't really tell from the pictures.  But it's two layers of gauze bound together.  I'm thinking that maybe along the lines of what I want.  I'm thinking if I can get that in a cream or pale gold I could then embroider something on it that would match the border design.  That might work very well.

Thanks for the comments on the butterflies and the owl.  The stitching wasn't as perfect as I would have liked.  Some of those pieces were smaller than the top of my thumb.  Getting around them was awful.  But it's done now.

Next on my list is the biscuit block with sashing around the outside edge.  This should be fun.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #95 on: Feb 19, 2010, 10:43:09 PM »
that owl is too cute.  you did good.  and, your photos are getting better too!
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #96 on: Feb 20, 2010, 06:34:07 AM »
That owl definitely came out far better than I ever expected.  I'm really liking applique.

I think I've found the spot to take pictures.  As long as they aren't very big.  In my kitchen sitting on the breakfast bar seems to produce the best picture.  I don't know why.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #97 on: Feb 20, 2010, 12:53:36 PM »
Well I've made all the individual "biscuits" for the next quilt block and I've gotten them all stuffed and sewn shut.  Now it's just a matter of sewing them together in the right order.  But that' going to wait until after my nap.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #98 on: Feb 20, 2010, 04:11:13 PM »
They are done.  and I only sowed 2 of them backwards.  You just can't let your guard down around a sewing machine. lol.

The next block is a lattice block but I think I'm going to applique rather than cut it all apart and piece it all back together.  That would just be to hard.  We'll see what I think after I've done it. 

Could it be that I'm getting to like this hobby?

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #99 on: Feb 20, 2010, 05:05:54 PM »
It sounds like it, Tammy. You at least like parts of it.
When you get really good you can take commissions from your forum friends.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal