Author Topic: Learning to Quilt 2  (Read 14201 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Learning to Quilt 2
« on: Jan 22, 2010, 05:56:18 PM »
Our Wal-mart got rid of material last year and the craft shelves are pretty much half height now.  The only area with small shelves.  I don't expect the craft section to last long either.  We have a JoAnn's 20 miles away in Lynchburg.  I hate going into Lynchburg.  I get lost all the time.  But I do what I have to.  I've gotten the files all set up and the 3 ring binder so everything is neatly put away.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Re: Learning to Quilt 2
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2010, 03:25:29 PM »
I decided on the Birds in Flight quilt block to do next while I'm waiting for pay day.  So I made the templates and the paper piecing master and cut out all of the pieces.  19 pieces in one 9" block.  That's a lot of pieces.  I hope it goes together all right.  Fingers crossed.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2010, 03:27:26 PM »
wishing you luck tammy!
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2010, 07:21:56 AM »
Thanks Jenn,

I managed to pin piece one and two to the paper and that was it yesterday.  Today I don't expect to accomplish anything.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2010, 10:58:08 AM »
Well I pinned the pieces backwards and had to rip it out.  Then I put one piece on and when I ironed it back it didn't reach to the seam allowance so that will have to be taken apart and another piece cut.

Patchwork just isn't going to be my forte.  We'll see if I can do any better with the fusable art.  If not I guess I'll be looking to sell my sewing machine.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2010, 12:02:43 PM »
Do not sell your sewing machine, even if quilting turns out to be not your thing. You would forever regret it every time a mending job peeked out of your laundry basket. And there are a million things that are fun to sew besides persnickety quilt pieces.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Jessica

« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2010, 12:25:50 PM »
I just got my sewing machine a couple of years ago and didn't really use it until recently.  Even when I wasn't using it, I never would have considered getting rid of it.  You never know when it will come in handy.

Tammy, maybe you will get the hang of it eventually.  Don't give up just yet.

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2010, 02:07:59 PM »
Paper piecing can really be a bear, Tammy.  I can't tell you how many seams I had to rip because the piece was backwards or the seam allowance wasn't in the right spot.  For me, once I figure out a system it is much more accurate than traditional piecing.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2010, 07:08:52 PM »
Well I went to the library and got a book on rotary cutters.  I have a tendency to be stubborn about things.  So I'll read it and practice what it tells me and see if that improves the situation.

Um, I darn by hand when I have to because there is no way I'd be able to figure it out on a sewing machine.  They have always confused me.  This is probably the 4th machine I've had over the years trying to be able to do sewing, so I'll keep trying for a while yet.

By the way do you use an embroidery hoop when you are doing the needleturning on applique.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2010, 07:36:07 AM »
Hopefully today I can get someone to teach me to use the automatic needle threader on the sewing machine and show me what I'm doing wrong with the rotary cutter. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2010, 02:10:23 PM »
We had a rotary cutter lesson.  I learned that mine was to small to be affective so I'll be getting a bigger one.

Then I also learned how to hold it against the ruler so that I end up with the a straight cut.

It was a good lesson.

We decided that we need 48 little teddybears for the police department when they have calls regarding small children.

Then we had 13 ouch pouches that will be given to the cancer center in Lynchburg.

I learned what I was doing wrong with my Birds in Flight block and I also found out that, that block isn't a beginner's block.  I can definitely understand that.  Carol got me headed towards some that are more what I am looking for.  I also found out that since I'm using a thin paper for the paper piecing I don't need to use such little stitches but can move up to the standard size stitches.  Which is going to make ripping out a lot easier.

The Photographer for our local paper was there so we got some group pictures taken for the newpaper.  I didn't know that was going to happen and I was not lookiing my best.  But then I never am.

I think that is about all of the major stuff we did this time.  I'm not sure exactly what we are going to do next time but I'm sure it will be fun.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2010, 05:15:36 AM »
The meeting yesterday really energized me.  I managed to get one side of the birds in flight block done and a start on the other side.  And I was in bed 2 hours earlier than usual.  Of course that means that I'm up before dawn this morning lol.

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2010, 08:12:47 AM »
Thats great Tammy, sounds like you are making great progress and having fun too.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2010, 01:27:55 PM »
Tammy, are you making a quilt to give away?

What are ouch pouches?

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2010, 07:37:50 AM »
I'm not making a quilt to give away I'm still making a sampler to learn the different techniques used in quilting.  And believe me no two are coming out the same size.  

The Quilting Club as a whole wants to do a quilt that the libary can raffle off for money to by books.  (Boy did I have a time keeping my mouth shut about that.)  Well I did tell one person after the meeting.

Ouch Pouces are for women who have breast cancer.  It looks just like a purse with a short shoulder strap that is filled semi-firmly with batting so the arm is kept away from the body.  They are about 14 inches long with 22 to 26 inch strapes and about 12 inches wide.  I haven't made one yet because I wasn't clear about the directions.  But everyone else did two or three of them.  

I finished the birds in flight block.  My fabric choices didn't work all the well it looks very busy but at least it turned out looking like it was suppose to.  And it is square at least.  Then I did a second Bowtie.  I plan to do 4 of those and put them in the corners.
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2010, 07:40:07 AM by duh »

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2010, 10:34:19 AM »
I love the looks of homemade quilts, and they are so warm and comfy.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2010, 07:28:53 AM »
They do have an added warmth because of the memories they invoke.  At least it seems that way to me.

Today I made my first teddybear.  It did not work out well.  For some reason the material has buckled at all the corners.  I'm hoping that it won't show if I stuff it.  If that doesn't work I don't know what to do.

Yesterday I went to JoAnn's and bought some small patterned, Light Valued material to match the darker colors I have.  Hopefully that will make future blocks more attractive.  And give me something to do while the snow melts.  I just looked at the 10 day forecast and it looks like snow and then more snow and then more snow.  This is awful.
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2010, 07:31:54 AM by duh »

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 29, 2010, 07:55:18 AM »
Thats true Tammy.....the memories associated with them.

Brad has a mennonite family that does work for him, and she is always quilting and talk about gorgeous..........i am so tempted to get some tips from her, but i've never asked.

I'm sure the bear will look great once he's stuffed.....counds cute.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #18 on: Jan 29, 2010, 01:08:26 PM »
I'm thinking about turning the bear inside out again and snipping the corners some more.  That may help.  At least I hope.

We have a mennonite community here and they are frequently at the library.  There was even a group at the fabric shop when I was there.  I'm always tempted to introduce myself but I'm not sure if that would be appreciated.

I would definitely ask her for tips. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2010, 11:36:42 AM »
Well I made the ouch pouch.  My straps are alittle long but other than that I'm satisfied with it. 

Since I got the fusible webbing I think I will try the butterflies.  Or maybe a heart first.  Those butterflies have a bunch of curves to them.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #20 on: Feb 02, 2010, 07:18:03 AM »
Well I ended up doing nothing but tracing templates onto tracing paper yesterday.  But I found a nice heart for the applique project.

I'm doing most templates on cereal boxes.  I'm saving my plastic for focal blocks where I need to see the fabric beneath the template. 

I have to sew through the loops on the velcro.  Does anyone know if I should use a special needle for that task.  I don't want to break a needle because I'm using the wrong one.

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 02, 2010, 11:25:54 AM »
I would put on a fresh needle for sewing through velcro loops but other than that I wouldn't use a special one.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #22 on: Feb 02, 2010, 12:33:39 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  I'll definitely do that.  I ran into another of the women from the quilting group when I ventured out.  She said she thought we were short ouch pouches for the cancer center.  So I'm going to try and make two more. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #23 on: Feb 02, 2010, 04:00:52 PM »
Ok one more done.  That should give us 12 and she said she would do another 2 which would make 14.  I may try and get another one done tomorrow I'll see how I'm doing.  For some reason an hour at the machine just kills my back.  And I hate to take medicine just so I can work at a hobby. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #24 on: Feb 05, 2010, 09:07:32 PM »
I sure wish we could see pictures.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal