Author Topic: Learning to Quilt 3  (Read 12053 times)

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
Re: Learning to Quilt 3
« Reply #25 on: Feb 24, 2010, 08:41:36 AM »
Your geisha does have a lot of pieces to it but it is beautiful.  I'm not sure what couching is but I like the idea of ribs on the parasol.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #26 on: Feb 24, 2010, 01:11:11 PM »
Well I learned somethings.  Now I'm going to have to go back to JoAnn's or somewhere because I definitely got the wrong interface.  This stuff is tearing and falling apart on me.  I need something sturdier.  And I need tha thicker yarn as well.  So I get some real puff going.  I also learned that polyfiber batting just will not get the job done.  I need something much denser.

The Fabric came for the geisha with the parasol today.  It is just marvelous.  I can't wait to finish the learners quilt to get going on the other.  Isn't that always the way.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #27 on: Feb 24, 2010, 01:16:59 PM »
couching is a type of embroidery stitch that allows you to work with thick thread or cord without trying to punch it through the fabric.

fudge I see the lattice block post didn't go through.  The picture is probably to embarrassed to show up.  It really turned out badly.  But then everything can't be perfect right?  I could do it again and try to make it better.  I'll think about it. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #28 on: Feb 24, 2010, 01:24:47 PM »
thanks for the definition duh.  I thought couching was a new form of exercise, you know, like running, walking, golfing....

Jessica

« Reply #29 on: Feb 24, 2010, 01:25:42 PM »
It seems to be my form of exercise, Sheri. :giggle:

I can't wait to see more of your work, Tammy!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #30 on: Feb 24, 2010, 03:16:04 PM »
Maybe we could get it as an Olympic Sport - Couching - that is lol.

Well I'm working on the trapunto block.  The first attempt the interfacing I choose was too delicate and it fell apart.  The yarn I choose was to soft and hardly made a bump.  So I had to carefully rip out all of the stitching for the design.  This time I'm using a heavier interfacing and I plan to use my kitchen cord for the filling.  That should make it large enough to pop. 

I'm also going to try a sewing foot that is clear and round to do the stitching with.  I think that will make following the pattern a whole lot easier.

But for right now I'm going to take a break because I gave myself writers cramp just tracing the pattern on to the tracing paper. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #31 on: Feb 24, 2010, 04:19:12 PM »
Don't ask me what that clear foot is for because it pops up after every stitch.  Maybe that's what's called free form?  Whatever it is I'm not ready for it.

I think for the trapunto I'll try hand basting.  I'm more accurate that way. 

In the meanwhile I think I'll play some games.  Anyone care to join me?

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #32 on: Feb 25, 2010, 07:12:36 AM »
I'm such a "digit" The pellon was for the turn and fuse not the trapunto.  No wonder it didn't work.  I really need a brain.  I've wasted an entire 9 1/2 inch block but not paying close enough attention to what I was doing.  Oh well I'll know better next time I hope.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #33 on: Feb 25, 2010, 10:31:48 AM »
Well I tried the trapunto again.  this time I put the interfacing on the incorrect side of the fabric so it was showing on top.  Not the way one wants to do this.  And even though I used a heavier interfacing it still tore.  So this time I'm going to put fabric on both side with wrong sides facing so I can't get the picture on the wrong side because they will both be ok.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #34 on: Feb 26, 2010, 07:41:17 AM »
I'm still working on the trapunto.  Since I'm hand stitching it will take a great deal longer.  But it's certainly more accurate.

I was also thinking that if I use the turn and fuse method I might also be able to stuff the kimono pieces so they will stand out alittle from the background.  That might give it more of a three dementional look.  What do you think?

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #35 on: Feb 26, 2010, 07:51:36 PM »
Well I finished the trapunto block.  And I found out that if I'm working with a dark fabric the shadows really don't show well.  Hopefully it will look better once it is quilted. 

Two blocks left.  Both of which will be mostly harvest gold.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #36 on: Feb 27, 2010, 10:32:52 AM »
Well I finally committed to buying the background and parasol material for the Geisha with parasol panel.  I must have repainted that pannel about a half a dozen times.  I hope the actual applique goes much faster.  But I'm learning where to buy fabric.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #37 on: Feb 27, 2010, 12:58:15 PM »
knowing where to get your material is a big part of the battle tammy.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #38 on: Feb 27, 2010, 05:47:25 PM »
I went to cut the last two blocks for the learners quilt.  Then I forgot to separate them and cut them both for the drunkards path to practice sewing a curve.  I guess I'll get a lot of practice won't I?

But at least they are the two last blocks.  Then it's sashing, border and quilt.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #39 on: Feb 28, 2010, 12:48:09 PM »
The drunkards path is done and I didn't even get any puckers.  I'm feeling pretty good about that.  Of course when I pressed it the scorch marks from my ironing board marked the fabric.  Isn't there always something?

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #40 on: Feb 28, 2010, 06:27:15 PM »
I'm wondering how many sewing projects I have to make in order to justify the expense of my sewing equipment?

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #41 on: Feb 28, 2010, 06:45:09 PM »
One should work. As long as it is one you feel good about. You do not have to justify to anyone a positive learning experience.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #42 on: Feb 28, 2010, 07:48:48 PM »
I like to feel I haven't wasted my dollars.  Your right I don't justify myself to anyone else.  But that lady in the mirror - her I have to answer to. 

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #43 on: Feb 28, 2010, 08:26:18 PM »
You look in mirrors?  :o I gave mirrors up years ago when I stopped recognizing that person in there. :giggle:
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #44 on: Feb 28, 2010, 08:32:43 PM »
lol

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #45 on: Feb 28, 2010, 08:56:35 PM »
You look in mirrors?  :o I gave mirrors up years ago when I stopped recognizing that person in there. :giggle:
and i only look in them to make sure they won't send me home from work!  otherwise, i avoid them.  i don't even clean them if i can help it!
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #46 on: Mar 01, 2010, 10:06:25 AM »
lol you all.  Ok, I don't look at her that often.  But I do have to ante-up each evening when I review my day. 

Whozza! The last block is completed.  I decided on a charm block.  Not that it made an appreciable dent in the scraps but it certainly was easy.

Now it's on to figuring the sashing.  Wish me luck on that one.  You know I didn't buy enough material.  I got one yard and I needed two.  Now I'll still have to buy another two to get the long edges all in one piece.  Fudge.  More money.  This quilt seems to think I am made of it.  Wish I were......where is that lotto ticket?

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #47 on: Mar 01, 2010, 11:01:50 AM »
Ok here are the blocks that I haven't posted yet plus how the design wall looks at the moment.

No doubt I need lessons on how to hold a camera steady.  Sorry the pictures are so awful.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #48 on: Mar 01, 2010, 12:19:24 PM »
Looks great... I love that we can see what you are doing and enjoy your progress.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #49 on: Mar 01, 2010, 04:03:54 PM »
Thank you, that's very kind to say.

Well I'm back from Lynchburg and I didn't get lost.  I have my two yards of black 100% cotton for the borders and the fabric was 30% off so I got it for 4 something a yard.  Good deal I guess.  I'm reasonable clueless about fabric prices.

I'm not cutting it today, I'm to tired.  But I have it and that is the main thing.

When I got home a package from Seawatch Fabrics had been delivered.  So I have all the fabrics I need.  Now it's just a matter of getting the embellishments and I'll have everything for the Geisha with Parasol window quilt.  And that's probably months before I finish the learners quilt quilting.  I guess I better get a move on huh?

Those little darlings sent me a free fat quarter and a swatch of pink fabric.  That was sweet of them.  And they tied up the entire stack with a yellow ribbon with yard stick measurements on it and their store name.  What a cute advertising gimick right?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal