Author Topic: Learning to Quilt 3  (Read 12055 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Learning to Quilt 3
« on: Feb 20, 2010, 08:05:21 PM »
This is expensive.  The two quilts I'm into have cost me 110.00 dollars already.  And they are both small in size.

The learners quilt is 38 X 57 and the geisha panel window quilt should be about 32 x 54.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
Re: Learning to Quilt 3
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2010, 09:45:57 PM »
are you finished buying materials for them?  I hope.

I was at a fabric store today and saw some quilt stencils.   Is that what you've used?

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2010, 07:35:54 AM »
maybe I won't be sure until I try and cut the sashing out for the learners quilt.  I have no idea if I have enough black for that or not.  I couldn't quite make myself sit down and actually figure out the yardage when I bought it so I just bought a yard.  And that was before I realized I'd use some of it on the quilt blocks.

I haven't gotten to the quilting part yet.  When I do I think I will probably just draw the design on the fabric using a cardboard stencil that I make myself.  Between the book that I bought and the motif book that I got from the library I think I have enough design elements to save myself the cost of stencils.  Although I will have to invest in an exacto knife to cut centers and lines.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2010, 10:35:55 AM »
I figured out how to design my quilts so I'll know the colors will look good before I spend a fortune.  It's time consuming though.

What I did was take the geisha panel and enlarged it in the paint program.  Then I pulled in the fabric colors with the paste from function.  I had to "freehand cut" the piece to fit in the space it would go on the panel but I got close enough to give me a good idea of what the panel will look like finished.  I'm loving this.  It works yeah!

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2010, 10:39:18 AM »
That is an excellent idea! Good job.  :ThumbUp:
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2010, 02:06:30 PM »
That went so well that I designed a lattice block and then traced and cut out all the pieces.  Then I realized that the pieces were so small they would end up disappearing into the seams, oops.  Or I could add seam allowances to the templates but then the square would be to big to go on my learner's quilt.  That leaves me with the either using the stained glass techniques to make it or applique.  Using negative space would waste a huge amount of material.  And applique would end up with the stitching covering up most of the material used for the lattice.  I think I'm going to try making some binding and then applique that with a regular straight stitch.  Wish me luck with this one.  It will also require mitred corners and those look like they are going to be a pain in the [blank]. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2010, 03:16:46 PM »
I have never appreciated all the work that goes into making a quilt before.  Good grief.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2010, 04:42:37 PM »
I have to agree with you on that one.  There is a great deal to this that I never knew.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2010, 12:22:04 AM »
Great idea on using the paint program... and you can save that as a jpeg picture and share it with us.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2010, 08:21:25 AM »
It's just a working picture to see if the colors match up.  Are you sure you would want to see it?

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2010, 08:53:10 AM »
I would like to see it. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2010, 01:11:03 PM »
Fudge I went over the time limit and lost the post.

I'll try again.

Sorry the picture is so small I'm having sizing problems with Paint.

This morning I got up and started on the lattice block.   Hopefully I'll finish it today.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2010, 01:22:08 PM »
It's pretty.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2010, 02:53:08 PM »
I changed the background again.   I found a blue snow fabric and did that instead.  It isn't quite as nice in someways but it's more in keeping with the geisha holding a parasol with her hand out.  Now she can be touching the snow.  I like that idea.

I have also found a fabric I like the for the parasol.  When I have a little more of it filled in I'll put up another picture.

Right now I'm on the hunt for directions as to how to do trapunto.

I finished the lattice block.  I now know why people hate mitred corners.  I'll do square corners from now on.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #14 on: Feb 22, 2010, 04:04:05 PM »
I like what you have so far! 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #15 on: Feb 22, 2010, 06:17:09 PM »
very  nice!
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #16 on: Feb 22, 2010, 06:28:43 PM »
ok, i had to go look up trapunto.  which is very funny because i grew up seeing a variety of this kind of work.  one of my great-grandmothers (who i knew well) made pillows with a variety if this technique.  she took printed pillow blocks (one i remember is a duck in flight, funny thing to remember) and would sew them to a backing, edging whatever the design was.  then she would stuff the design, in this case the duck, and the finish quilting the block.  then she would finish the pillow.  it was the coolest thing, i and was glad i asked her how she did it.  i just didn't know it had a technical term!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #17 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:41:48 PM »
Ok here is the modified picture of the geisha with the parasol.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #18 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:45:50 PM »
Oh I love it... the colors flow so well.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #19 on: Feb 22, 2010, 09:15:54 PM »
I think it is going to work and I'm very pleased with that.  I'm going to take the rust color and add it into the parasols border so the color will not be isolated at the bottom.  I like colors and patterns to repeat throughout a piece.  To me it is more "balanced" is that the word I want?

I've been reading up on it.  I'm going to get some lightweight pellon interfacing so I can try it.  I'm also going to try some of the fuse and turn applique.  Anything that tames the raw edges sounds like a great idea to me.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #20 on: Feb 22, 2010, 09:21:01 PM »
That is going to be so pretty, Tammy... :grinnnn:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #21 on: Feb 22, 2010, 09:22:48 PM »
tammy, my daughter has a "thing" about balance and symmetry.   it has to match.  period.  so i understand.  and i think it will tie it all together well too.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #22 on: Feb 24, 2010, 07:45:21 AM »
Well I pulled out the panel this morning and began tracing the pieces on to wax paper.  I hadn't realized just how many pieces there were in the panel.  And that parasol is going to be work.  What I want to do is cut one piece for the "fabric" of the parasol and then overlay the "Ribs" of the parasol over that so that it looks cohesive. 

I think I'll be making black ribs and couching them to give it a really nice look.  I hate having to try and pull through the seams to make cord but I think in this case it's the best answer.  What do you think?

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #23 on: Feb 24, 2010, 07:54:36 AM »
Ok it's back to the learners quilt.

And back to lousy pictures.  The gold really doesn't show up on the red at all well.  But at least I'm trying.  I'm almost glad you can't see if very well.  I forgot to sew the mitres down when I attached it to the background fabric and the corners slipped.  I'll know better next time.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #24 on: Feb 24, 2010, 08:29:15 AM »
Ok on to the trapunto block.  I've choosen an Art Nuevo Poppy Center Motif.  Wish me luck I'm off to learn something new.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal