Author Topic: Learning to Quilt 3  (Read 12053 times)

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
Re: Learning to Quilt 3
« Reply #50 on: Mar 01, 2010, 04:28:28 PM »
Good deal Tammy.  I am sure that both the fabrics and the ribbon will come in handy.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #51 on: Mar 01, 2010, 04:57:03 PM »
That does sound cute, Tammy. And I love freebies. Congratulations!
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #52 on: Mar 01, 2010, 05:56:45 PM »
Tammy you are very much into this quilting.  I'm glad you've finally got all the fabric.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #53 on: Mar 01, 2010, 06:18:57 PM »
Yep I do tend to jump in with both feet.  I'll be glad to have this first project finished.  I think making borders for all the blocks that didn't quite get to 9 1/2 inches is going to be a chore.  But that's ok.  It will be worth the effort.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #54 on: Mar 01, 2010, 06:25:56 PM »
Definitely worth the effort.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #55 on: Mar 01, 2010, 08:27:12 PM »
i think the quilt is going to be wonderful!
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #56 on: Mar 02, 2010, 06:46:41 AM »
Thank you for the kind words.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #57 on: Mar 02, 2010, 09:45:20 AM »
what not to do at the fabric store.

Talk to the lady cutting your material about the demension of your project.

Guess how I know.  Going to be doing a bunch of piecing on the boarder. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #58 on: Mar 02, 2010, 09:54:54 AM »
I've seen quilts with piecing on the border and they're beautiful.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #59 on: Mar 02, 2010, 01:14:14 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement.  You all keep me going or I'm sure this would have turned into a UFO by now.

I sewed the first column together and then put it back on the designwall.  And what had I done.  Put it up backwards.  I can see I'll have to be very careful sewing these blocks together or they aren't going to end up in the right place.

Jessica

« Reply #60 on: Mar 02, 2010, 01:30:12 PM »
Tammy, I love what you are doing.  Can't wait to hear and see more!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #61 on: Mar 02, 2010, 02:17:19 PM »
The camera is broken.  Doesn't that figure.  Well it's not getting replaced any time soon.

Jessica

« Reply #62 on: Mar 02, 2010, 04:49:40 PM »
Oh no!  I'm sorry to hear that.  You haven't had it very long, have you?

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #63 on: Mar 02, 2010, 06:33:35 PM »
Not very long.  I don't really get along with camera's.  I never did.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #64 on: Mar 02, 2010, 10:47:22 PM »
i'm sorry it is broke.  i was so looking forward to seeing more pictures of the work.  and blurry was fine, i'm blurry too!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #65 on: Mar 03, 2010, 07:27:18 AM »
Well I managed to get a second column done last night.  I'll put it together with the other one today and then start the third one if I can.  There are five columns of blocks all together.  I would love to get them all done this week.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #66 on: Mar 03, 2010, 11:23:25 AM »
You are moving right along!

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #67 on: Mar 04, 2010, 04:23:36 PM »
Well I was moving right along until I sewed an entire column without any bobbin thread.  That stopped me cold in my tracks.  But I hope to pick it back up shortly and try again.  Pin, pin, pin, ouch!, pin, pin, pin...

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #68 on: Mar 04, 2010, 06:08:21 PM »
Ok the sashing is around the second column and the third column is put together.  I'm moving right along.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #69 on: Mar 04, 2010, 08:53:36 PM »
yes, you are.  i hope one day to see this.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #70 on: Mar 05, 2010, 01:49:21 PM »
Well I'll do what I can.  Maybe the next time your in Virginia you can take a picture for me. 

For now the third column is complete and I've taken down the blocks in the forth column so I can square them.  If I work really hard I may have it put together by tonight.  Friday night is not a good night for tv.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #71 on: Mar 06, 2010, 08:36:55 PM »
that forth column was an absolute bear!  Have you ever had a strip that just would not cooperate?  I miss cut the sashing 3 times.  Sewed one of the miss cut ones together and had to rip the stitches out and cut yet again to get a good one.  Well at least it is finally done and it isn't midnight yet.  But the last column is waiting until tomorrow.

I've been looking at the Q-snap quilting frame.  But I'm going to have to get at least a 40% off coupon before I can afford to buy it.  Either that or I'm going to be buying pvc pipe and trying to make it myself.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #72 on: Mar 06, 2010, 08:42:58 PM »
Tamara posted a how-to link for you in the DIY topic, Tammy. It sounds like a good way to handle this... :applause:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #73 on: Mar 07, 2010, 10:27:07 AM »
thanks Diane.

The quilt top is finished.  So I really need that frame about now lol.   Although I would do it with the hoop if I had no other way to quilt it.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #74 on: Mar 08, 2010, 02:36:13 PM »
Murphy has come for a visit.  Guess how I can tell...

Well first off the batting that I bought wasn't big enough as one solid square.  So I tried to piece it to make it fit.  I ended up with one 2" by 3" corner that I didn't have batting for.  Then to top it off the batting was way to thin for how I was picturing the finished quilt.  So I made two decisions.

I'd go get the stuff for the frame and I'd go get another batting that I would use as a solid piece.  I was also going to get the spray baste. 

Well you've hear the ones about the best layed plans...?  Yeppers that's about the way things went.

First off the hardware store doesn't stock the "3 way connectors" which are really called something else entirely.  He would have to order 10 in order to get me the 4 so I had to promise to buy all 10.  Then he didn't want to cut the pipe and it comes in 10 foot lengths which would not fit in my nissan sentra no matter what I did.  So I finally made a deal with him that his guy would do it if I would pay for his time.  Now watch he'll make 35 and hour and dither.  Just kidding I'm sure he'll do fine on Wednesday when the order comes in.  I hope.  Then we figured out that the pictures posted on the E*How website and the materials list are not for the same frame.  So I'm going to have to figure out exactly what I want it to look like and revamp the matierals list.  Then get everything on wednesday.  Of and there is no such thing as the clamps that are described in the article.  At least nothing he could find in his catalog and he really looked.  I know because I was right there beside him. 

Next I went off to JoAnn's.  I bought the batting I wanted I think.  I started to by the spray baste but at 11.00 a bottle I just couldn't do it.  Then I got a bunch more safetypins because I didn't think I had enough.   So while I was standing in line there was the magazine all about aprons.  And I'm interested in making some aprons so I put it in my carts.  ...talk about a heart attack it cost 15.00.  Never again am I buying a magazine without knowing the price in advance. 

So what am I doing as far as the quilting is concerned today?  Absolutely NOTHING!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal